Person of Interest (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Me too! Its not like "omg I HAVE to watch it" but its getting better and better anyway.

When I first heard of it last year I contacted the Israeli satellite provider company Yes and asked them to buy it (we only have either this one satellite company or this one cable company.. and cable sucks). Afterwards they informed me they bought it and I've been waiting for them to start showing it since. Didn't want to watch it online.
It finally started today. I'd say, average plus. Expected more, then again I dislike J.J. Abrams and it's better than most shit on TV (though my personal fave "new" show is Boss which just finished here). Anyway, no doubt I'll keep watching. I certainly feel the Nolan in it lol

It was also featured in this big magazine here today with a 3.5/5 stars review (their reviewers are very harsh so this is really good) and they basically said what I did, adding that J.J. Abrams sucks lately but "thankfully" Nolan is really behind it and makes it better than other stuff lol unfortunately the satellite company's many TV promos for it don't mention Nolan at all!! Only Abrams (as Lost was a big success here) and I'm tempted to send them an angry Nolan-fangirl email about that. :judge:

lalyil wrote:When I first heard of it last year I contacted the Israeli satellite provider company Yes and asked them to buy it (we only have either this one satellite company or this one cable company.. and cable sucks). Afterwards they informed me they bought it and I've been waiting for them to start showing it since. Didn't want to watch it online.
It finally started today. I'd say, average plus. Expected more, then again I dislike J.J. Abrams and it's better than most shit on TV (though my personal fave "new" show is Boss which just finished here). Anyway, no doubt I'll keep watching. I certainly feel the Nolan in it lol

It was also featured in this big magazine here today with a 3.5/5 stars review (their reviewers are very harsh so this is really good) and they basically said what I did, adding that J.J. Abrams sucks lately but "thankfully" Nolan is really behind it and makes it better than other stuff lol unfortunately the satellite company's many TV promos for it don't mention Nolan at all!! Only Abrams (as Lost was a big success here) and I'm tempted to send them an angry Nolan-fangirl email about that. :judge:
Well, if Christopher Nolan was behind it then you would see his name plastered all over every ad. Jonathan Nolan's name doesn't mean much to the average television viewer. J.J. Abrams' name, though, does mean a lot to the average TV viewer. When they were running the promotional stuff for Person of Interest before it debuted here in the US, it was very much "FROM EXECUTIVE PRODUCER J.J. ABRAMS... and also created by that other Nolan or whatevs."

Just comes with the territory of being a Nolan not named "Christopher".

Nelson wrote:Well, if Christopher Nolan was behind it then you would see his name plastered all over every ad. Jonathan Nolan's name doesn't mean much to the average television viewer. J.J. Abrams' name, though, does mean a lot to the average TV viewer. When they were running the promotional stuff for Person of Interest before it debuted here in the US, it was very much "FROM EXECUTIVE PRODUCER J.J. ABRAMS... and also created by that other Nolan or whatevs."

I know :( Kinda makes me sad though. And regardless, people here are idiots generally, even if it was Christopher behind it, he wouldn't have gotten a bigger mention, trust me (despite the fact all films were released here and most of them really succeeded). At least the reviewers know who they are.

..and I love your Michael Shannon/Van Alden siggie :lol:

I expected more when seeing that they were going to start showing Elias again. After Reese called him and Elias was like "Hello John", I expected Elias to do some badass things. But in the last episode with the baby, I just expected more.

lalyil wrote:
Nelson wrote:Well, if Christopher Nolan was behind it then you would see his name plastered all over every ad. Jonathan Nolan's name doesn't mean much to the average television viewer. J.J. Abrams' name, though, does mean a lot to the average TV viewer. When they were running the promotional stuff for Person of Interest before it debuted here in the US, it was very much "FROM EXECUTIVE PRODUCER J.J. ABRAMS... and also created by that other Nolan or whatevs."

I know :( Kinda makes me sad though. And regardless, people here are idiots generally, even if it was Christopher behind it, he wouldn't have gotten a bigger mention, trust me (despite the fact all films were released here and most of them really succeeded). At least the reviewers know who they are.

..and I love your Michael Shannon/Van Alden siggie :lol:
..on the biggest Israeli news website there's an interview with Jonathan about the show. My brother just told me. That made me happy. He mostly talks about how much he loves writing for a TV show and that it makes him feel like 'the boss' :-D
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4202082,00.html - good luck with the hebrew lol

Meraxes wrote:Hebrew fixed, for the most part:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... %2C00.html

Thanks btw, nice interview.
LOL at "luxury" instead of "The Prestige".. yeah, they mention that cos that film did REALLY well here.

I'll copy, paste and fix it then, might as well. I'm bored now :p
I bolded his quotes.. then bolded the interviewer's questions.. then got confused.

The screenwriter of "The Dark Knight", "TV is more fun"
Jonathan Nolan, screenwriter of "The Prestige" and "The Dark Knight" and brother of director Christopher Nolan, moves to the small screen with the series "Person of Interest". he talks to Ynet about working with the creator of "Lost" and his longing for heroes after 9/11
Liron Sinai
Posted: 03.15.12, 08:32

Since 9/11, Jonathan Nolan's brain works extra hours. The screenwriter who was responsible for "The Dark Knight "and "The Prestige" and then co-authored the later Batman films [films? I'm pretty sure BB was before. Stupid journalist], hasn't been able to stop thinking about the consequences of that tragic event - on the lives of New Yorkers today.

For years, Nolan began to imagine several possible scenarios that may happen in the Big Apple and one of them, particularly disturbing, became the basis for the new series "Person of Interest" (every Thursday evening on yes Action Channel HD 22.00) which criticizes the era's surveillance cameras and obsessive stalkings after offenders and suspects on the streets.

Although Nolan tries to maintain pc, in this interview some criticism can still be heard from him: "The series depicts a strange situation we reached after the disaster, with government approval to enter our private life. I think we are on a collision course in this matter," says Nolan.

"The government's ability to track mobile phones, for example. The headline was published five years ago. And yet, people were surprised when we mentioned this at a press conference when we introduced the series" Nolan says in amazement. "What surprises me is that we know this and yet we choose to ignore it. For some reason we choose to live with this invasion of our privacy. The series deals with this topic. It especially deals with those who live in New York, their secrets and the ability of the heroes of the series to help them".

Only time will tell, but perhaps "Person of Interest", exclusively signed by Jonathan Nolan, would release him from the shadow of his older brother - Christopher Nolan, the man who directed "The Dark Knight" and the rest of the films they wrote together. And although they're creditted side by side on those films, Christopher is identified as the creator, while Jonathan, is cast aside a little.

Maybe that's why, Brother Jonathan bids farewell to the Bat and this family project with mixed emotions. "The film 'The Dark Knight Rises' my brother is directing, will be the third and last of these Batman movies and for me it's bitter-sweet. I am satisfied that these films came to an end at this point, but I enjoy writing the type and style of that world. In Person of Interest, I can keep doing it," he says. "Characters in the series are very similar to the superheroes - working outside the law, only at last, we were able to get rid of the cloak and tights. "

"Person of Interest", follows, in each episode, the genius millionaire Finch (Michael Emerson), and John Rees (Jim Caviezel), a former secret agent. Working together around New York to eradicate crime. They combine together the information that exists in the possession of Finch and the tracking and fighting skills of Reese, to prevent killings of innocent civilians.

The technological surveillance system which they use, that Finch designed and built after 9/11, is designed to prevent terror attacks a broad scale, but is programmed to "ignore" preliminary information about specific "small" murders. Finch, in a moral act, produces another mechanism that allows him and his partner to stop those potentially involved in future murders.

You indicated that in the characters of "Person of Interest" you see kind of superheroes. In what way?
"They are driven by guilt and remorse. Finch's power is knowing, amongst other things. He doesn't know all, but definitely carries a burden in this respect. The moral burden of knowledge".

The leap from the big screen to the small, Nolan doesn't take alone. He goes hand in hand with renowned producer JJ Abrams, who is responsible for the television hit "Lost" and others. "I only worked in film before and I also enjoyed it," says Nolan, "but American TV has improved remarkably over the past decade, with shows like the "Sopranos" and "The Wire". Television gives the possibility to build characters from the base and go into their inner depths in an excellent way".

How did the connection between you and Adams come to past?
"I met him and talked to him about cinema in general. Then, a total whim, I told him an idea of ​​a series I wanted to develop. I explained it to him briefly. On the spot, without hesitation, he told me he loved it."

In Abrams' "Lost" and in your "Prestige", there are some very surprising plot twists. Can we expect that in "Person of Interest"?
"Quite a few are planned. We have several main characters and each week we re-discover secrets and surprises associated with them. Even when you think you already know all the characters, you'll find more layers you can peel and discover something new. That's one of the forces that drives the series."

Broadcasting the first season is still underway, and the hope for a second season is already felt: "It depends on CBS," says Nolan, "we're still not sure, but we very much hope there will be another season. We feel pretty good about it."

What differs between working on your series and working on your movie scripts?
"The obvious difference first is that I should write more quickly. When we developed the idea for the ​​pilot, sat in and planned the first half of the season, I felt it my responsibility to the audience to know where the story goes. What's more fun on TV is that there are small stations along the way, where it can change and you discover them while writing.
Usually I only work closely with my brother, but creating an American network series, with over 20 episodes in a season, you can't do it alone. You have to cooperate on a larger scale with other writers who bring in new ideas. We have a basic structure for the series, but we insisted against the network that characters can vary widely and evolve. I don't want to get stuck and find myself writing static characters every week, I don't think the public wants to see something like this."

And after you've experienced working in both formats, what do you prefer? Television or cinema?
"I love them both. But the advantage in television is that I do not have to talk to myself when I work. There are other people who get paid to talk to me which is nice.
When you write a movie, you're alone, speaking to the voices in your head. It's a long and lonely journey. Writing for television is a more collective experience. I believe that when you talk about your idea with smart people, and I'm surrounded by smart writers, it must improve. I think there is more room to tell stories on TV today."

And now, when you work alone, without your brother, do you feel you made ​​a quantum leap?
"I feel an interesting change. If in films the writer's hand is proportionally on top, in television he's already a real boss. And I would be lying if I didn't say it's kind of fun being the boss".

lalyil wrote:[I'll copy, paste and fix it then, might as well. I'm bored now :p
I bolded his quotes.. then bolded the interviewer's questions.. then got confused.

The screenwriter of "The Dark Knight", "TV is more fun"
Jonathan Nolan, screenwriter of "The Prestige" and "The Dark Knight" and brother of director Christopher Nolan, moves to the small screen with the series "Person of Interest". he talks to Ynet about working with the creator of "Lost" and his longing for heroes after 9/11
Liron Sinai
Posted: 03.15.12, 08:32

Since 9/11, Jonathan Nolan's brain works extra hours. The screenwriter who was responsible for "The Dark Knight "and "The Prestige" and then co-authored the later Batman films [films? I'm pretty sure BB was before. Stupid journalist], hasn't been able to stop thinking about the consequences of that tragic event - on the lives of New Yorkers today.

For years, Nolan began to imagine several possible scenarios that may happen in the Big Apple and one of them, particularly disturbing, became the basis for the new series "Person of Interest" (every Thursday evening on yes Action Channel HD 22.00) which criticizes the era's surveillance cameras and obsessive stalkings after offenders and suspects on the streets.

Although Nolan tries to maintain pc, in this interview some criticism can still be heard from him: "The series depicts a strange situation we reached after the disaster, with government approval to enter our private life. I think we are on a collision course in this matter," says Nolan.

"The government's ability to track mobile phones, for example. The headline was published five years ago. And yet, people were surprised when we mentioned this at a press conference when we introduced the series" Nolan says in amazement. "What surprises me is that we know this and yet we choose to ignore it. For some reason we choose to live with this invasion of our privacy. The series deals with this topic. It especially deals with those who live in New York, their secrets and the ability of the heroes of the series to help them".

Only time will tell, but perhaps "Person of Interest", exclusively signed by Jonathan Nolan, would release him from the shadow of his older brother - Christopher Nolan, the man who directed "The Dark Knight" and the rest of the films they wrote together. And although they're creditted side by side on those films, Christopher is identified as the creator, while Jonathan, is cast aside a little.

Maybe that's why, Brother Jonathan bids farewell to the Bat and this family project with mixed emotions. "The film 'The Dark Knight Rises' my brother is directing, will be the third and last of these Batman movies and for me it's bitter-sweet. I am satisfied that these films came to an end at this point, but I enjoy writing the type and style of that world. In Person of Interest, I can keep doing it," he says. "Characters in the series are very similar to the superheroes - working outside the law, only at last, we were able to get rid of the cloak and tights. "

"Person of Interest", follows, in each episode, the genius millionaire Finch (Michael Emerson), and John Rees (Jim Caviezel), a former secret agent. Working together around New York to eradicate crime. They combine together the information that exists in the possession of Finch and the tracking and fighting skills of Reese, to prevent killings of innocent civilians.

The technological surveillance system which they use, that Finch designed and built after 9/11, is designed to prevent terror attacks a broad scale, but is programmed to "ignore" preliminary information about specific "small" murders. Finch, in a moral act, produces another mechanism that allows him and his partner to stop those potentially involved in future murders.

You indicated that in the characters of "Person of Interest" you see kind of superheroes. In what way?
"They are driven by guilt and remorse. Finch's power is knowing, amongst other things. He doesn't know all, but definitely carries a burden in this respect. The moral burden of knowledge".

The leap from the big screen to the small, Nolan doesn't take alone. He goes hand in hand with renowned producer JJ Abrams, who is responsible for the television hit "Lost" and others. "I only worked in film before and I also enjoyed it," says Nolan, "but American TV has improved remarkably over the past decade, with shows like the "Sopranos" and "The Wire". Television gives the possibility to build characters from the base and go into their inner depths in an excellent way".

How did the connection between you and Adams come to past?
"I met him and talked to him about cinema in general. Then, a total whim, I told him an idea of ​​a series I wanted to develop. I explained it to him briefly. On the spot, without hesitation, he told me he loved it."

In Abrams' "Lost" and in your "Prestige", there are some very surprising plot twists. Can we expect that in "Person of Interest"?
"Quite a few are planned. We have several main characters and each week we re-discover secrets and surprises associated with them. Even when you think you already know all the characters, you'll find more layers you can peel and discover something new. That's one of the forces that drives the series."

Broadcasting the first season is still underway, and the hope for a second season is already felt: "It depends on CBS," says Nolan, "we're still not sure, but we very much hope there will be another season. We feel pretty good about it."

What differs between working on your series and working on your movie scripts?
"The obvious difference first is that I should write more quickly. When we developed the idea for the ​​pilot, sat in and planned the first half of the season, I felt it my responsibility to the audience to know where the story goes. What's more fun on TV is that there are small stations along the way, where it can change and you discover them while writing.
Usually I only work closely with my brother, but creating an American network series, with over 20 episodes in a season, you can't do it alone. You have to cooperate on a larger scale with other writers who bring in new ideas. We have a basic structure for the series, but we insisted against the network that characters can vary widely and evolve. I don't want to get stuck and find myself writing static characters every week, I don't think the public wants to see something like this."

And after you've experienced working in both formats, what do you prefer? Television or cinema?
"I love them both. But the advantage in television is that I do not have to talk to myself when I work. There are other people who get paid to talk to me which is nice.
When you write a movie, you're alone, speaking to the voices in your head. It's a long and lonely journey. Writing for television is a more collective experience. I believe that when you talk about your idea with smart people, and I'm surrounded by smart writers, it must improve. I think there is more room to tell stories on TV today."

And now, when you work alone, without your brother, do you feel you made ​​a quantum leap?
"I feel an interesting change. If in films the writer's hand is proportionally on top, in television he's already a real boss. And I would be lying if I didn't say it's kind of fun being the boss".
Awesome. :clap: Thanks again!

No problem.

I just saw the second episode, first of all I thought it was excellent. MUCH better than the first which was just ok IMO. Second of all one of the main themes in this particular episode is one of the main themes in the screenplay I'm developing so it felt very weird seeing it done.. Unfortunately though it didn't help me think up more ideas as I'd expect from something with a similar theme to mine lol