The Dark Tower (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
Spert wrote:A black actor not getting opportunities to star in big name films? No way!
The involvement of Akiva Goldsman et al is more likely a contributor towards this being shit than some sinister agenda. There's no reason this couldn't have been good.
I don't think anyone here implied that there was any "sinister agenda" at play with regards to this film or Elba.

However, what is being recognized is that Idris Elba's race undoubtedly limits his opportunities in Hollywood.

Or could it just be that like Fassbender the dude, while undeniably talented, is for want of a better word fairly cold? Not coincidentally Fassbender is also kinda quasi box office poison

Race aside you have to be star material

ArmandFancypants wrote:Or could it just be that like Fassbender the dude, while undeniably talented, is for want of a better word fairly cold? Not coincidentally Fassbender is also kinda quasi box office poison

That's the problem. There is no "race aside". It's a factor no matter what.

While the Fassbender comparison may be apt, the difference here is that Fassbender is White and Elba is Black. There is no "could it just be..." because there is no "just".

ArmandFancypants wrote:Or could it just be that like Fassbender the dude, while undeniably talented, is for want of a better word fairly cold? Not coincidentally Fassbender is also kinda quasi box office poison

True on Fassbender. I guess Elba isn't star material after all?

*looks at X men and Alien*

Yeh I guess Fassbender is just like Elba and can't get big franchise roles. Guess there is no race problem here

RT page ...

yeesh

did this film ever look genuinely good to anyone tho?

Cilogy wrote:RT page ...

yeesh

did this film ever look genuinely good to anyone tho?
When it was first announced it sounded awesome with the cast

And then more stuff got announced

I've always heard good things about the novels. Are they really geared towards young adults in the same way Hunger Games/Maze Runner/etc. are?

Cuz the trailers for this film make it seem so.

Oh wow, the RT score is 19. That's kind of perfect.

I hope people will stop putting too much trust into King's words when it comes to his opinions on movies. Dude is pretty much a lite Armond White.

On top of that, imagine having a 86 minute film or whatever the fuck the running time for this trash is and then a lot of the complaints address the pacing and the dullness of it all.

All killer No filler