The Tree of Life (2011)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Mason01 wrote:Same here. :|
Same here. :|

I tried replacing "is" with "are" and it still didn't make sense... then I focused on "to make of" which made me think that he might have meant that it's not a film that filmmakers like, but that doesn't account for the word "tool". Hm... this, like a lot of Rohan's posts, is quite a puzzle. Someone else take a crack at it...

Mason01 wrote:
steveportee wrote:It should win the academy award for being the film with the greatest number of random images.
Why don't you watch the film and stop being sarcastic about it.
I saw the movie. :|

steveportee wrote:
Mason01 wrote:
Why don't you watch the film and stop being sarcastic about it.
I saw the movie. :|
Oh.

What did you think of it? Rating?

I'll probably put it behind The Thin Red Line as Malick's second best. Probably give it an 8/10 or so.

I'll be back with my thoughts on this in a few hours.

Crazy Eight wrote:I tried replacing "is" with "are" and it still didn't make sense... then I focused on "to make of" which made me think that he might have meant that it's not a film that filmmakers like, but that doesn't account for the word "tool". Hm... this, like a lot of Rohan's posts, is quite a puzzle. Someone else take a crack at it...
I've decoded some p0g posts before so i'll give it a shot.
Rohan wrote:Films like 'The Tree of Life' is not a tool for those who like to make of in my opinion.
First of all, we can chop off the "in my opinion" since it's not connected to the cryptic statement. Also I think he does mean "are" instead of "is".
Now I checked the previous posts to figure out the context. And it seems the only thing he could have been referring to was steveportee's slanderous post: "It should win the academy award for being the film with the greatest number of random images."

So my theory is he forgot to type "fun" and meant. Films like 'The Tree of Life' are not a tool for those who like to make fun of. (make fun of the movie, of course). To clarify: Unconventional films such as The Tree of Life shouldn't be used as tools (i.e. comedic material) for those who'd like to make fun of those films.

solo2001 wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:I tried replacing "is" with "are" and it still didn't make sense... then I focused on "to make of" which made me think that he might have meant that it's not a film that filmmakers like, but that doesn't account for the word "tool". Hm... this, like a lot of Rohan's posts, is quite a puzzle. Someone else take a crack at it...
Rohan wrote:Films like 'The Tree of Life' is not a tool for those who like to make of in my opinion.
First of all, we can chop off the "in my opinion" since it's not connected to the cryptic statement. Also I think he does mean "are" instead of "is".
Now I checked the previous posts to figure out the context. And it seems the only thing he could have been referring to was steveportee's slanderous post: "It should win the academy award for being the film with the greatest number of random images."

So my theory is he forgot to type "fun" and meant. Films like 'The Tree of Life' are not a tool for those who like to make fun of. (make fun of the movie, of course). To clarify: Unconventional films such as The Tree of Life shouldn't be used as tools (i.e. comedic material) for those who'd like to make fun of those films.
Seems right :clap: :clap:

solo2001 wrote:

Well, it's a fantastic theory, and if true and you have decoded it, the comment still doesn't make much sense... why can't we make fun of films like The Tree of Life? Why Rohan, why?

The reason we should not make fun of films like 'The Tree of Life,' for its concept is logical more than someone's meaningless remarks who thinks it is not a film, but a tool to look at and make merry. I am not particulary pointing at anyone, yet there are those who dislike the concept behind the film and continues to claim that their thinking has more meaning than the film's concept.