Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 8:58 pm
wow the negative people are louder
you can say that again...

You’re putting words in my mouth. Waves did not have a massive drop, Joker did. % is not all that important when looking at ratings. I’ve never seen as significant of a drop as Joker had when it comes to Avg. rating and metacritic with a substantial amount of reviews. Even percentage it’s getting close to 20% drop.

Ok let's stick to exclusively the math. Joker debuted to 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, dropped to 80% soon after, and it's now at 69%. So if you judge exclusively off the first wave of reviews, that's a 16% drop IE a 1% difference from Waves. I have already demonstrated using the drop in RT percentage is not meaningful in Joker's case as it happens regularly. What about the average rating?

Waves debuted somewhere in the 8.7ish range if I remember correctly, as I was watching it closely due to the Reznor/Ross involvement. Many of the first dozen plus reviews are raves with perfect or near perfect ratings, with some throwing "masterpiece" around. So, Waves dropped around 1 point while Joker dropped about 1.5. That's a sizable but not huge difference of .5 a point.

What I'm trying to demonstrate is that this is pretty normal when comparing early buzz from festivals and when you get hundreds of critics seeing a movie, who are typically more conservative and less prone to hyperbole.

-Vader

Vader, you genuinely believe the backlash to Joker and the strong negative reactions from many critics is normal and comparable to other films such as Waves? Seriously?

I have a few thoughts about this, but english is not my first language and I'm lazy to write everything now. So I'll just wait for someone to write something similar than I'll agree.
I do have to say that I understand some criticism about the way they justify the violence and some of his actions in the movie.

But a few questions
It all happened, right? I mean, the story. They end the movie with him back in the hospital, and I got the impression that the joke that the doctor wouldn't understand was the movie happening in his head, and that he never left the hospital in first place. We learn in the beginning that he spend some time there, so I was wondering..
And
Zazie Beetz character died? All indicates that yes, but it's never confirmed. I liked that they left it vague.
And also
Justin Theroux man. Dude just keeps popping up every now and then. first Star Wars, now this. Won't be surprised if he's in Wonder Woman, 007 or Dune or something.

Ivan wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 9:52 pm
Zazie Beetz character died? All indicates that yes, but it's never confirmed. I liked that they left it vague.
Vague??
It's pretty fucking clear that that's what happened.

Numbers wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 9:54 pm
Ivan wrote:
Vague??
It's pretty fucking clear that that's what happened.

Guys why are we arguing about the RT score for this movie? Look at how nice it is.

Ivan wrote:
He was drenched in blood after exiting her apt.

Numbers wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 10:39 pm
Ivan wrote:
He was drenched in blood after exiting her apt.
Bruh
It's obvs period blood