Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Do people really misinterpret Phillip's point so much? His point wasn't a comparison of the Joker to John Wick. His point was, that we as a society (yeah, yeah, piss off with your memes) embrace violence if it's outlined by "good vs. bad" doctrine and the target of violence, in our mind, is given what it deserves. Remember Black Panther? In one scene, a bad guy jumps from a running car (for no reason, actually) and gets wheeled by Shuri driving a remote car, and when we hear her driving over the guy's body, the movie makes a joke out of it. Someone just died a horrible death, but we're told by the movie that it's okay, he was a bad guy, so he deserved to die and should be laughed at. Which is garbage and I hate that idea in the MCU movies so much, when they portray violence and death as laughing matters. It makes their tone unbearable to sit through. But back to Phillips's point, people say they are repulsed by violence and that the world is too violent, but then some of those same people will say one day: "All pedos deserve to get burned alive." That was his point. That people don't feel repulsed by violence. They embrace it when it's outlined to them. But when violence is ambiguous and doesn't fit into the "good vs. bad" mold, then they are repulsed.

probably seeing it this weekend, looking forward to it

Seeing this with my friends Saturday.

ugh idk if I have time to go this weekend...

maybe next week...

Nomis pls, I need someone here to make jokes with.

If not me then there's always mister Colon

Todd Phillips Explains Why He Left Comedies For ‘Joker’

“Go try to be funny nowadays with this woke culture,” Phillips said. “There were articles written about why comedies don’t work anymore—I’ll tell you why, because all the fucking funny guys are like, ‘Fuck this shit, because I don’t want to offend you.’”
- Phillips

And I thought I couldn't stand this guy before.

todd philips is saying every wrong thing right now and i for one think its fascinating to see someone self immolate

-Vader

I don't get it. He pitched this risky idea to WB, got it approved, got $60 million to make this film, got top talent who are established veterans or rising stars, had Scorsese working with him at some point, won a top award at a European film festival, is getting a major Oscar push from a studio that disregarded or pushed back other films in their Oscar slate, has a film that will make $100 million opening weekend and will earn easily 5× it's budget back and more. But this dude still wants to bitch and complain.

Like no one had to take a chance on his idea but WB did and they are putting a lot of effort into the advertising and Oscar campaign for this film. He is extremely lucky but man, he comes across pretty rotten and ungrateful.