Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ChristNolan wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 6:11 pm
God, we’ve become such pussies.
seriously

Forum Pro
Law
Most people praised Chappelle for making fun of everyone who gets offended by jokes. What is Phillips doing differently? He said he stopped making comedies because this generation is soft, which it is.

People can say what they want now, but the first "Hangover" and "Old School" were a lot of fun, and they would make a lot money no matter when they were released.
"Due Date" was pretty good, too.

Lol this director reminded me of why I usually don't want to know about the political opinions of the director. This guy has nothing to complain about right now but does so anyway and specifically in a way that reminds me of right-wing, anti-PC people who are unhappy that they can't punch down anymore with their comedy without getting booed. The reason these guys keep complaining is that there is no way you can force anyone to like your terrible comedy. Tough luck, buddy. If the public doesn't think you're funny, you're not funny.

To illustrate my point, here's George Carlin talking about the targets of comedy in the context of Andrew Dice Clay's comedy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8yV8xUorQ8

Batfan175 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 1:43 am
Lol this director reminded me of why I usually don't want to know about the political opinions of the director. This guy has nothing to complain about right now but does so anyway and specifically in a way that reminds me of right-wing, anti-PC people who are unhappy that they can't punch down anymore with their comedy without getting booed. The reason these guys keep complaining is that there is no way you can force anyone to like your terrible comedy. Tough luck, buddy. If the public doesn't think you're funny, you're not funny.

To illustrate my point, here's George Carlin talking about the targets of comedy in the context of Andrew Dice Clay's comedy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8yV8xUorQ8
Sure but I don’t think the guy who wrote Thomas Wayne into his film as a repugnant Trump esque figure is exactly right wing.

Also, Carlin also did this after that interview...

Yeah, how can we be such pussies to refuse to contribute to the mentality that downright discredit people who might have actually suffered from sexual abuse and then resumes to make fun of them.

Jeez you're so tough and badass to ridicule people, who have long been the subject of discrimination. We're too cowardly to go that far. Please forgive us for that.

I thought the Chappel and Burr shows were pretty funny (not their best, not by a long shot). I didn't think they were offensive, they were jokes. Can people still feel offended and express it? I guess so. Like any critic. But to demand a canceltion is ridiculous. People can always not watch the special. That's always an option, especially if you know the comics sense of humor.

However, the fact that these shows are doing well and are getting great audience scores shows me that these comics are going anywhere. Eddie Murphy is getting MILLIONS for his next one and his past stand ups have been some of the most controversial. These comics are not cancelled by any means and any fears to the contrary are as overblown as the outrage culture itself.

LelekPL wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 6:53 am
I thought the Chappel and Burr shows were pretty funny (not their best, not by a long shot). I didn't think they were offensive, they were jokes. Can people still feel offended and express it? I guess so. Like any critic. But to demand a canceltion is ridiculous. People can always not watch the special. That's always an option, especially if you know the comics sense of humor.

However, the fact that these shows are doing well and are getting great audience scores shows me that these comics are going anywhere. Eddie Murphy is getting MILLIONS for his next one and his past stand ups have been some of the most controversial. These comics are not cancelled by any means and any fears to the contrary are as overblown as the outrage culture itself.
Perfectly said. The only people who are complaining are those who can't get any deals or concepts greenlit.

Phillips can complain all he wants but at the end of the day he is wrong. I mean, just a month ago there was a movie called Good Boys that came out and had pre pubescent kids doing some not so kid friendly stuff. I don't recall any "outrage culture" around that.

Why did Kimmel have to make this so awkward? :roll: