Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
macbeth and incels? are you sure you're not confusing it with witchcraft? :think:

Forum Pro
Law
How about we keep this thread about the movie, like people who've seen it or are going to see it. Every time I come in here it's people talking about what they've read in the abyss of other online forums. This thread is constantly being derailed and now people are even talking about Donald Trump.

I don't like questioning art and whether it is safe for a society. That leads towards stuff like censorship which can build towards silencing other aspects beyond a movie about a comic book villain. It's also insulting to the 99.9% of the people (including white men) who will watch this movie and do nothing but hopefully have a positive movie experience. Also blaming movies, TV, and video games for violent behavior let's the scrutiny off government leaders who need to be passing real reform in polices like gun control.

In the end, has anyone really ever legitimately caused violence or harm due strictly to a film or such?? Would that person be a well-adjusted, functioning member of sociey if they have never seen the film?

well yeah which is why i raised the question in the first place... bc i said the movie (and the creators) weren’t the ones to blame lmao

art shouldn’t hold the responsibility of having to police or influence people the right way, just like people shouldn’t police art itself

Yes, didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing anyone from this forum, but more the vocal people "pearl-clutching" on twitter about this film.

radewart wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:34 pm
Yes, didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing anyone from this forum, but more the vocal people "pearl-clutching" on twitter about this film.
oh for sure. i think the tarantino “because it’s so much fun jan!” video should be mandatory once in a month watch regarding this topic lmao

but in general i think it’s something interesting to think about. film, like any bit of popculture does have an effect on society (omg sorry), both positive and negative, it’s dumb to deny that. but my post regarding responsibility of art was more of a rhetorical question anyway.

Ruth wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:46 pm
radewart wrote:
oh for sure. i think the tarantino “because it’s so much fun jan!” video should be mandatory once in a month watch regarding this topic lmao

but in general i think it’s something interesting to think about. film, like any bit of popculture does have an effect on society (omg sorry), both positive and negative, it’s dumb to deny that. but my post regarding responsibility of art was more of a rhetorical question anyway.
And just like I discussed with you, films have an enormous reach and shape our culture in so many ways.

Like for example, we're just now looking back at films and seeing a lot of harmful tropes that have permeated in our culture. Pop Culture Detective is a great YouTube channel that discusses this in detail.

Law wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:00 pm
How about we keep this thread about the movie, like people who've seen it or are going to see it. Every time I come in here it's people talking about what they've read in the abyss of other online forums. This thread is constantly being derailed and now people are even talking about Donald Trump.
I agree.

Law wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Artemis wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:48 pm
Ruth wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:46 pm
radewart wrote:

And just like I discussed with you, films have an enormous reach and shape our culture in so many ways.

Like for example, we're just now looking back at films and seeing a lot of harmful tropes that have permeated in our culture. Pop Culture Detective is a great YouTube channel that discusses this in detail.
We got your point. Enough.

Also why are we giving awards to rapists?