Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Did you enjoy the movie?

Allstar wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 5:40 pm
Michael Mann, Greta Gerwig, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Sean Baker and Guillermo Del Toro all loved this. Extremely respected and intelligent filmmakers. Maybe some critics did have an obvious agenda....maybe it wasn’t made just for incels and they’re the only ones who like it. Some clearly wanted to fit into the “cool” hive of film twitter.
10th posted.

Still haven’t seen this. Was never that interested (well documented in this thread). I am more interested now with these highly respected filmmakers praising it though.

Artemis this made me laugh out loud, thank you.

-Vader

I felt rather beaten down after watching it because it is a horrifying story that is depressing and violent. The more I think about it now, the more I enjoy it because we seem to have more or less left all the outrage and heated online debates behind us. In the end, at the very least it is an interesting experiment for DC and Phoenix's performance is amazing.

Vader182 wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 8:55 pm
Artemis this made me laugh out loud, thank you.

-Vader
Why is that so funny?

I think people who support the thinking I criticized may be pressed I made a valid point. I certainly know most on film twitter completely ignore the fact Greta Gerwig said she loved it. They just pretend it never happened. Convenient.
Last edited by Allstar on December 31st, 2019, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have tried to give this a second viewing twice and both time I have failed during the first 5 minutes. What's the trick?

I'll give it another go when awards season dies down. All my friends really like it too. I'm glad the movie worked for them and for all the filmmakers who enjoy it.

so like i think it’s funny how the whole incels taking over the world because of jester never panned out but it’d also be dumb to ignore that lots of them claimed the movie as “theirs” anyway

i don’t understand why this discussion is happening AGAIN though

cats tell a lot more about the human condition anyway.

I think Jexi accomplishes what most films can never accomplish when it comes to discussing the human condition tbh.

like I said about it earlier this year, the most dangerous (and bad) thing about the movie isn't that it promotes an incel message, it obviously doesn't, it's that it doesn't have a message period.

instead, it recklessly and incoherently juggles half a dozen "hot button" issues and manages to do absolutely nothing with any of them. it's also narrow and literal where it sees itself as complex, deep and "abstract." I felt third party embarrassed for all involved. They're swimming in insane cash and will likely earn solid nominations, so good on them.

It's the worst movie I've seen from 2019.

-Vader