Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Jax_Teller wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:10 am
antovolk wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 5:34 am
Hyped for tonight. Looks like they did elevate the script...
Well, Phillips did say it changed dramatically from the leaked script. Not to count obviously on set rewrites, etc. Well, those who judged the film based on the now old script must feel pretty silly now. ^^
Yup, this.

But I would say, based on what I've been hearing from this morning, is that there may be a split between critics. Likely US ones disliking it for being the wrong movie for this time/basically all the stuff the script leak was bashed for, while Euro/foreign critics hail it a masterpiece.

Are the reviews that are praising the film from reviewers with legitimate credientials as a film critic?

Also, when does the review embargo lift?

I know people here don't care about IMDb ratings, but the film currently at 9.7 with 173 votes. :shock:

Interested to see how this movie will play out to the general public.

Since everyone can vote already, that's not saying much. Probably mostly fanboys who even haven't seen the movie.

I haven't seen any divide between US critics and others. Literally all the reactions out there (that I saw and those that were retweeted by Alex) are raves, except maybe one that has the caveat about Phillips supposedly not knowing whether to do his own thing in the last stretch or go for the lore and sequel bit (which sounds more like something a non DC fan would say).

Obviously, when more reactions and reviews pour in, I'm sure we'll get the controversial takes but when you get that many raves, all with very similar things being singled out, out of Venice, it's clear Joker is very special.

As to the hot takes that will undoubtedly take issue with the content of the film, I doubt many will take them seriously at all. They'll just be outraged for the sake of being outraged, and I doubt it's going to be problematic at all.

Like I said elsewhere, I wonder how Taxi Driver would be received if released nowadays for example. What someone takes away from a film is their problem. As long as the director is not clearly endorsing whatever hideousness is presented onscreen, there's nothing there.

Why do we always bother to analyze reactions? The real reviews come out and SURPRISE they’re totally different from the reactions! It’s as if reactions tell us nothing about how good a movie actually is

I always though this cant be less than decent

anikom15 wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 11:05 am
Why do we always bother to analyze reactions? The real reviews come out and SURPRISE they’re totally different from the reactions! It’s as if reactions tell us nothing about how good a movie actually is
Except they do. These are not reactions from some fan screening, but from Venice

A meme movie is really going to go to the oscar's isn't it?

Well, Green Book made it so why not this.

Damn. This Oscar season is going to be interesting.

don't forget black panther lol

I wonder what everyone's expectations will be after the Venice Film Festival is over, when it comes to the award nominations at the Globes and Oscars