Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I honestly got a strong sense of Phoenix not feeling confident in knowing how to tackle this interpretation of the Joker.
I found the first hour of his performance to be lacking a seamless transition and structure in his character which is a fault of the director. In that sense I found his performance alone to be irritable during that period.
The final third worked alittle better primarily because he just went nuts and he performed aptly for the part and direction the story was heading because his role then was somewhat simplified.

Certainly a film to sleep on though.
And once again we see Bruce Wayne's parents get shot down a dark alleyway.
Must be onto some sort of damn record now. :lol:

Artemis wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 11:43 am
I feel like Phoenix was the redeeming quality of this film for me. Without his performance, there's really not much there.
Not to be disrespectful, but I see a lot of the criticism say things similar to that, and isn't the whole entire point of the movie to be about Arthur's journey into madness. I mean, he's in every scene, so of course the movie is strictly going to be about him, the film wasn't about exploring other aspects

FYI... I dug it. Not a masterpiece but a really different film than we get nowadays, especially in comic book genre with a mesmerizing performance from Phoenix.

radewart wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 5:12 pm
Artemis wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 11:43 am
I feel like Phoenix was the redeeming quality of this film for me. Without his performance, there's really not much there.
Not to be disrespectful, but I see a lot of the criticism say things similar to that, and isn't the whole entire point of the movie to be about Arthur's journey into madness. I mean, he's in every scene, so of course the movie is strictly going to be about him, the film wasn't about exploring other aspects

FYI... I dug it. Not a masterpiece but a really different film than we get nowadays, especially in comic book genre with a mesmerizing performance from Phoenix.
Yeah I know what you mean. But if a lesser actor was in the role it wouldn't have been somewhat engaging. I guess you can say Phoenix somewhat elevated pretty drab material.

Guðnadóttir's score tho. Give that woman her Oscar already.

Yes!!!!! I really liked the score.

Master Virgo wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 5:32 pm
Guðnadóttir's score tho. Give that woman her Oscar already.
The score is terrific. The visual style, the textures, the music and Phoenix are all incredible.

-Vader

I found the score sort of overbearing and it was used excessively. Probably a different director could have utilized her better.

spade wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 11:30 pm
I found the score sort of overbearing and it was used excessively. Probably a different director could have utilized her better.
Yeah I can understand this too. Sometimes it was really overbearing. But overall the score itself was fantastic.

For once, Half in the Bag nails it on the head without being vexing.

Best dc movie since dark knight! Joker>dark knight rises>wonder woman>watchman>man of steel>shazam>aquaman> batman v superman(directors cut)>suicide squad>>>>>>>>>>green lantern. Remember thats just an opinion 😉