Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Forum Pro
Law
I mean, he isn’t wrong

That asked him why he made the Joker and not a comedy movie and he gave his unfiltered opinion on it. That isnt ungrateful and his opinion isnt out of the mainstream.

Look at the last 2 Netflix comedy specials from Chapell and Burr...they both lambast the current state of "woke and cancel culture," and how it is detrimental to comedy. Hell, even Jerry Seinfeld refuses to perform on college campuses anymore because it has become so toxic.

Law wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 4:21 pm
I mean, he isn’t wrong
So when is he getting his "trigger warning" netflix specifal? Maybe his comedy just isn't good? I mean so many comedians are getting those types of "I can't say this in public" types of Netflix specials and their careers are going pretty great.
Skyab23 wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 4:26 pm
That asked him why he made the Joker and not a comedy movie and he gave his unfiltered opinion on it. That isnt ungrateful and his opinion isnt out of the mainstream.

Look at the last 2 Netflix comedy specials from Chapell and Burr...they both lambast the current state of "woke and cancel culture," and how it is detrimental to comedy. Hell, even Jerry Seinfeld refuses to perform on college campuses anymore because it has become so toxic.
Yeah but they still get paid their millions and have successful tours. Phillips just seems bitter and seems to be blaming the "culture" instead of self reflecting and saying "maybe I'm not that funny."

His film is going to be super successful so I don't understand the bitterness of the past he's holding onto. He still wins in the end.

EDIT: When he was asked the question, he could have just said "I wanted to explore a new genre and test myself," but instead he gives the most cringe and edgelord answer there is smh.

There are so many ways he can handle these questions in a more mature way but he keeps failing every time. And this is coming from someone who actually was excited about Phillips directing this film so don't think I'm a h8r.

Artemis wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 4:30 pm
Law wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 4:21 pm
I mean, he isn’t wrong
So when is he getting his "trigger warning" netflix specifal? Maybe his comedy just isn't good? I mean so many comedians are getting those types of "I can't say this in public" types of Netflix specials and their careers are going pretty great.
Skyab23 wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 4:26 pm

Yeah but they still get paid their millions and have successful tours. Phillips just seems bitter and seems to be blaming the "culture" instead of self reflecting and saying "maybe I'm not that funny."

His film is going to be super successful so I don't understand the bitterness of the past he's holding onto. He still wins in the end.

EDIT: When he was asked the question, he could have just said "I wanted to explore a new genre and test myself," but instead he gives the most cringe and edgelord answer there is smh.

There are so many ways he can handle these questions in a more mature way but he keeps failing every time. And this is coming from someone who actually was excited about Phillips directing this film so don't think I'm a h8r.
I dont think you're a hater but I do think you're upset with Phillips because he doesnt respond the way you would like him to. He is being completely open with no filter about the subject. And his opinion is shared by some of the most successful people in that particular genre.

So if he's allowed to rant about the "woke culture" whatever the fuck that is, can I not critique his response?

What are the odds that if something bad happens this week they'll put it from theaters?

I'm going to be out of town this weekend and unable to see it, but some of the murmurs people keep talking about everywhere have me spooked because it's like people want something to go bad.

Comedy has always been about threading the line between being funny and being offensive. That line changes from person to person, decade to decade, year to year and in 2019 society doesn't welcome comments that are at the expense of disenfranchised persons. This is...bad? Furthermore, there are approximately zero comics who have been "cancelled" for "unwoke" humor. Most of those "cancelled" comics are still making millions of dollars. So the outrage against this outrage is as "invented" as the outrage in the first place. It's bullshit.

Burr makes jokes about how men have "reasons" to beat their wives (he's since sorta apologized for his edgier humor) and Chappelle has spent his career laughing at potential victims and recently made fun of trans people. They both have a lot of great bits, but if you tell jokes involve being mean for a laugh, you must accept accountability from the group too. Being mean spirited for laughs in the cheap seats is also probably not very good comedy.

PS, I'm considering cancelling my tickets this weekend. The media circus is as, or more, likely to trigger a shooting as the movie. I'm concerned.

-Vader

Bacon wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 5:02 pm
What are the odds that if something bad happens this week they'll put it from theaters?

I'm going to be out of town this weekend and unable to see it, but some of the murmurs people keep talking about everywhere have me spooked because it's like people want something to go bad.
It really comes across the media wants to be "right" and get all the clicks if something bad happens, "if it bleeds it leads". It's really disgusting, disturbing and sad. Hopefully nothing will happen. OBVIOUSLY.

But yeah, I'm passing on this in theaters.

I don't think anything will happen, but if anything, just pass on this film during the first week and maybe see it in the 2nd or 3rd week when the hype dies down.

God, we’ve become such pussies.