Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
He should have won an Oscar for playing Commodus all those years ago tbh.

it’s honestly a travesty he did not win that oscar for gladiator. hating the absolute shit out of commodus is one of my earliest film memories lmao

He's had soooooo many great roles in the past years that should have been rewarded
As a long time Phoenix fan, I feel some type of way that he's getting all this hype and recognition for playing the fucking Joker but I'll be happy when he wins the Oscar.

Suffice to say, the Joker is quite the role though. I mean, not only pointing negatively towards Leto's wild.... Ride. But Nicholson and Ledger have played the parts tremendously well. Nicholson made him iconic but Ledger made him absolutely legendary. I can't wait to see Phoenix performance. He's got that raw talent and experience to completely inhabit it and the fact that it's all about the Joker now gives him even more freedom with the part. It's great to hear that he's great as the Joker but I'm already pretty excited to see his performance in full.

As for Phoenix being snubbed of an Oscar with Gladiator, I agree lol. He was so fucking good.

Artemis wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 3:48 pm
He's had soooooo many great roles in the past years that should have been rewarded
As a long time Phoenix fan, I feel some type of way that he's getting all this hype and recognition for playing the fucking Joker but I'll be happy when he wins the Oscar.
What’s wrong with playing the Joker? Last I checked that’s how Heath won an oscar as well.

Allstar wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 4:32 pm
Artemis wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 3:48 pm
What’s wrong with playing the Joker? Last I checked that’s how Heath won an oscar as well.
Nothing wrong per se. I guess a better way of saying it is that he's been giving a lot of great performances in roles that weren't so commercial that haven't been getting this level of buzz.

I hope that clears it up.

Nomis wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 4:03 pm
Suffice to say, the Joker is quite the role though. I mean, not only pointing negatively towards Leto's wild.... Ride. But Nicholson and Ledger have played the parts tremendously well. Nicholson made him iconic but Ledger made him absolutely legendary. I can't wait to see Phoenix performance. He's got that raw talent and experience to completely inhabit it and the fact that it's all about the Joker now gives him even more freedom with the part. It's great to hear that he's great as the Joker but I'm already pretty excited to see his performance in full.

As for Phoenix being snubbed of an Oscar with Gladiator, I agree lol. He was so fucking good.
He was great and deserving, but Benicio was even better. They made the right choice.

Uno
Nomis wrote:

Joaquin should've gotten an Oscar for his role in The Master. As much as I love DDL and his role in Lincoln, I still think Joaquin was the most deserving lead actor imo.

All Twitter warriors are right now accusing this movie of validating "incels" and "mass-shooters". I haven't read so much clueless BS from people who claim to be in the film community but seem to have never seen more than ten films in their lives. Not only are they acting like it's entertainment's fault if someone goes haywire, but they act like stories where flat-out villains serve as the keypiece characters have never been done before. And they say it's wrong to make a heartless villain likable or give him reasons to be bad. What a load of shit. Hannibal was justified being evil because a bunch of Nazis cannibalized his family. Dexter was a murderer because he saw his mother getting slaughtered when he was a child. Walter White was desperate to make money. How did we get here, when people act like a Joker movie is the first time we see a terrible person becoming a pop culture icon in recent years.

Nomis wrote:

Wait, aren't you the same Nomis from comicbookmovie, who always says that TDK is his least favorite Nolan film and Ledger's Joker had no positive effect on you? Just asking.