Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
My local theater still doesn't know whether they'll get their hands on a film print. If they do I'll definitely check it out in that format. The previous film experiences at that theater were very pleasurable.

I mean sure, The Hateful Eight, Dunkirk, the remastered 2001 print and Lawrence of Arabia were pitch perfect prints/projections. Phantom Thread seemed to have some issues here and there but since I never saw that film again on a digital platform I'm not sure whether some of it was intentional or not. Otherwise it could be because it's a blow-up from 35mm to 70mm... I'm not sure but I must say it was largely still a great viewing experience. There's a certain warmth to film you just don't get with any digital projection. The 4K equipment at that theater is very good though. I love it when they screen either 4K remasters or new films in 4K. If they only have that when they won' get film for this one, then I'll definitely see it in that format.

edit: any films to watch in preparation for this btw? Other than Tarantino's own films of course lol

I'll go with digital, the last two times I've tried to see film have been a disaster. The prints are scratched up and not framed well. The film broke twice during Interstellar at the Imax at Navy Pier in Chicago. That was five years ago now, there's likely even less actual well-trained projectionist around to properly show film.

She was also the only good thing in that dreadful Death Note movie apart from Dafoe.

radewart wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 4:59 pm
I'll go with digital, the last two times I've tried to see film have been a disaster. The prints are scratched up and not framed well. The film broke twice during Interstellar at the Imax at Navy Pier in Chicago. That was five years ago now, there's likely even less actual well-trained projectionist around to properly show film.
I agree. I saw Avatar, TDKR, etc. opening day in 15/70 IMAX at major theaters like the Lincoln Square IMAX in NYC, and the picture fidelity was not right. I'd take a regular AMC Dolby Atmos screening any day over IMAX, as I don't think you're ever going to see it how it's supposed to look anymore. Unless I get to watch the dailies or the first negative, they can keep the analog film.

Ace

With his new movie about to arrive, what's your Tarantino ranking?

Mine from worst to best:
Death Proof
Hateful Eight
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Django
Jackie Brown
Reserviour Dogs
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Reservoir Dogs
Inglourious Basterds
Pulp Fiction (I know, unoriginal, but it started my passion for film)

Okay this got pushed back a week for me, now seeing it on August 16 apparently. So I guess I either ask other people to be mindful of spoilers here or I start the countdown until I get spoiled

pls don’t post spoilers here without a tag