Watchmen (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
That twist came out of nowhere

The most interesting thing about it is
Angela being in on this whole thing. A big WTF. Next episode will be huge to judge if what they did was clever or random.
Also the Veidt story
needs to fucking move on. I like the scenes on their own but I feel like this week's scene was especially extraneous

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 1:38 pm
That twist came out of nowhere

The most interesting thing about it is
Angela being in on this whole thing. A big WTF. Next episode will be huge to judge if what they did was clever or random.
Also the Veidt story
needs to fucking move on. I like the scenes on their own but I feel like this week's scene was especially extraneous
Yeah that second thing has been starting to test me

Law wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 1:30 pm
This show just keeps getting better and better.. was not expecting that
That's why Laurie was so interested about Cal a few episodes back, like saying he was handsome and all that. And we know how much she misses him LOL. Btw, that final shot was great, that glowing blue light. Can't wait for the next episode.

EPs1234 were good, but EPs567 were waaaaay better! Each one of those hits harder each time. Two more to go!

So yeah, I've caught up with this show.

This is top tier television. So far it's up there with Succession season 2. I always love it when an original continuation of a previous story works so well as it does here. The first two episodes really had to get me into it but after that they slowly but surely reveal more about its history. Not just what happened in the 80s, but the story set in the 40s is just spectacular. I love it when they use creative ways to go from one shot to the next and particularly in that episode it all came together so wonderfully. The cast is great, I love King's work and the fact that mature people lead this show. Smart is terrific, I love how they continued Laurie's story. The way they tell the story, going for episodes more fixated on one character is a great move, just like with Game of Thrones, you can really flesh out characters while continuing the overall story in an engaging, emotionally invested way. Nelson delivers great work too.

I just love this stuff so much. It all feels so carefully planned, almost with surgical precision, as much as filmmaking allows that but holy shit; it's just fantastic. I love how they create such a logic alternative 2019, it feels so real. Again, episode 6 is incredible, I love Hooded Justice' story. Another great way to enrich the original story as he was the only one we never found out who he was.
and even more interesting, regarding the seventh cavalry that the first masked vigilante who inspired so many others was black and that Dr Manhattan changed his color too. I figure Matheen still plays him in the next two episodes, I would love that.

Yes ^

also for those saying the big twist came out of nowhere, please remember:
in episode 2 Will Reeves tells Angela he's Dr. Manhattan as Dr. Manhattan can take the form of a regular man. The twist has been hiding in plain sight this whole time.

-Vader

speaking of hiding in plain sight, E6 and 7 are connected in very deliberate ways in the sense that
there's not just the connection between Angela and HJ that is being explored there but that between HJ and DM:
- both are hiding, right, they're "magnificent beings", but also have at different points to hide their skin color too and that by disguising it under the color of a man of the opposite race
- both are addicted to Nostalgia though in different forms - the tachyon ring or whatever is DM's Nostalgia in how it helps him stick to just one simple plane of existence and temporal perception
- in E6 Cal tried to break Angela free from her Nostalgia trip and by breaking his skull in E7 she managed to break him free from his

Vader182 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Yes ^

in episode 2 Will Reeves tells Angela he's Dr. Manhattan as Dr. Manhattan can take the form of a regular man. The twist has been hiding in plain sight this whole time.

-Vader
tbh don’t remember who it was, but characters did argue whether this was bullshit or not a few times. so i think stuff like this, also the talk with the kids, is kind of a reach to think of as these big hints

but
i think laurie’s blue dildo was called “excalibur” LMAO like

this show has no chill but neither do i

Ruth wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 6:30 pm
Vader182 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Yes ^

-Vader
tbh don’t remember who it was, but characters did argue whether this was bullshit or not a few times. so i think stuff like this, also the talk with the kids, is kind of a reach to think of as these big hints

but
i think laurie’s blue dildo was called “excalibur” LMAO like

this show has no chill but neither do i
The show introduces the idea that sets this up in episode 2 of the season. I'm not saying they were or weren't "big" or "little" hints or clues or whatever, I certainly just that the show clearly laid the track for this throughout the entire season.

Some other fun examples:

Laurie:My ex used to talk about them when he wasn’t distracted by fucking quarks"
Angela: “Yeah, well, he’s no Cal.”

The entire season continues hinting Cal has some weird "accident" in Vietnam and suspicious backstory she didn't want Laurie to know about. That was in episode 4, etc.

I've mentioned some other ones. like as surprising as this is, the pieces are there

-Vader