Watchmen (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I agree. Making him glow must've been a challenge but he looked better once he had white eyes.
Also yes, I'm interested in giving Snyder's film a rewatch soon. Director's cut of course.

Director's Cut is 30 minutes shorter than the Ultimate Cut (216 minutes). The latter is the one that covers The Tales of the Black Freighter as well, which is one thing that was done relatively well adapting wise.

DC is the way to go indeed, Zack even said so.
About the pupils, that's a mistake, he always had "white" eyes in the comics, I guess they chalked it up to him forgetting he still looks like Cal.

I don't buy the budget excuse because my guess is they have serious coin on the show (6-8 million per episode? (at least, the bigger ones?) I don't know, it looks that way to me), and we see extremely impressive VFX work these days on His Dark Materials for example, not sure if HDM is substantially more expensive though than Watchmen.

Apparently, Yahya did shave his head but the bulbous shape feels so wrong and he obviously looks so odd when it's Yahya painted in blue. All the scenes with the Europa terraformation for example look good as long as they keep it to wide shots and we don't see his face.

Maybe it's the lighting too. The show is overall well shot but I must say that although I didn't realistically expect a Snyder like aesthetic, I expected the show to look and feel much more cinematic than it does.
Last edited by Ruth on December 11th, 2019, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: use spoiler tags, not everyone visiting the thread will have seen the latest episodes

My friend worked on the show in Atlanta, in the finance department. This show cost more per episode than GOT ever had per episode.

4N Legend wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
My friend worked on the show in Atlanta, in the finance department. This show cost more per episode than GOT ever had per episode.
That would be wild if true. I'm not saying your friend (or you) for that matter aren't being truthful, but why wouldn't HBO release that?

it might make sense since a lot of the effects work goes into making the world appear seamless rather than making the visuals as flashy as possible.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 5:09 pm
4N Legend wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
That would be wild if true. I'm not saying your friend (or you) for that matter aren't being truthful, but why wouldn't HBO release that?

it might make sense since a lot of the effects work goes into making the world appear seamless rather than making the visuals as flashy as possible.

-Vader

Truly don't know, and I still don't believe it is higher than GOT but this is what he tells me. The costs are astronomical. I expected GOT S7/8 costs but to say they are higher is crazy.

Well the ratings are no where near that of GoT so I hope that's not true.

That's really hard to believe. If true, the money is not on the screen frankly. This doesn't look like a show that has $15 million plus per episode. And usually these days, most shows with giant budgets, you can see it in the production values.

Or is it more of a situation where some episodes have a substantially bigger budget?!

Westworld S1 having a budget of $100 million is pretty farfetched too but HBO's budget for large scale shows has been going up more every year. Watchmen, WW, His Dark Materials all have production quality that can't be cheap at all. So I can kind of buy Watchmen being costly

Westworld S1, I'd say the money is on the screen and a lot of location work too. I'm sure there's a ton of regular VFX work on Watchmen but how?