Ad Astra (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
antovolk wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 10:56 am
mattyd17 wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 10:01 am
Speaking of which, when does his soundtrack come out? I’d like to hear the track that plays during the lunar launch scene again.
Soon-ish but might not even be the full thing.

Richter and Balfe recorded two entirely separate scores - Gray cherrypicked from both for the final edit, with a heavy dollop of source cues from Richter and Nils Frahm. The moon stuff is actually from Balfe's, apparently.... Anyway, here's what we have so far:

Yeah, could see in the credits they were completely separately done. Balfe’s work wasn’t bad as I feared, usually not a fan of his stuff.

Lots of “additional” credits. Another interesting credit was additional photography by Caleb Deschanel.

I wasn’t impressed with the score either. I expect something better when names like Max Richter and Lorne Balfe are attached.

We got typical Richter and not enough Balfe. There were a lot of scenes that needed the music to shine more but it was just there. I don’t even know why they brought Balfe into this. Richter’s theme (“To The Stars”) is beautiful and effective in some scenes but it was overplayed without any interesting variations (instrumentation, arrangement, tempo, etc...) and I expected it to reach its full potential at the end but it didn’t.

I guess after Gravity, Interstellar and First Man, my expectations where high because those movies had incredible scores with strong themes/motifs and creative and unique instrumentation and sound design.

6.6/10

Fairly dull movie but by no means bad. Just kind of ok. Kind of felt soulless/flat.

Just got out of the movie. It was very beautiful and pondering and I like that it took it's time.

I have to agree with the comments on the score. In some scenes you really feel it but in others it's just background noise.

The narration got kind of tired after a while and I feel like it wasn't really needed in some places
Like on the scene on the moon when he goes to the army base he talks about how no one understands him and I feel like as the audience we already know this because his wife left him and we don't really see him interacting much with friends and spending a lot of time alone.
Overall it is a very beautiful film and an interesting take on the father son relationship. It is flawed but it's a kind of slow burn film you don't see much these days.

EDIT: Also noticed some color symbolism in the film that I loved and will probably write more about it later.

Seen it on Friday, not what I expected, but its slowly growing on me.

Cinematography beautiful. Score was okay, expected a bit more, but the more I think about it it fits with the subtle themes.

Feels like Z in space, to me even better.

this was pretty good and pitt was pretty good

the voiceover was terrible

more like A Disastra

wham-o!

Uneventful Horizon would've been more appropriate

Michaelf2225 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 6:54 am
this was pretty good and pitt was pretty good

the voiceover was terrible
We might need a Blade Runner esque director cut.

A little torn on this one. It’s incredibly beautiful, pretty meditative at times, but the voiceover almost killed it for me. I don’t hate voiceovers normally, and I don’t normally care for the ‘show, don’t tell’ “rule”, but this movie seriously needed to stop telling us everything we already understood. I felt like a good 70% of Ray’s non stop inner monologuing could have easily been cut. If this is a stream of consciousness type of thing, I felt like it was pretty feeble. It’s also too short.

But Brad Pitt is so good. And someone put an Oscar into van Hoytema’s pocket pretty please. Holy crap it’s so beautiful looking. I couldn’t hate this movie even if I wanted. I feel like it’ll grow on me, and it would really benefit from a longer cut.