Ad Astra (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Looks like it's going to flop big time.

Master Virgo wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 1:47 pm
i have no idea why people keep giving Gray increasingly big budgets when as far as i know only one of his movies, a movie 12 years old, didn't lose tons of money

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 2:12 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 1:47 pm
i have no idea why people keep giving Gray increasingly big budgets when as far as i know only one of his movies, a movie 12 years old, didn't lose tons of money

-Vader
In fairness in this case he had Brad Pitt starring.

Saw this earlier today in IMAX. It's a very different entry in this space exploration sub-genre feeling a bit like a psychological drama in a few instances which I welcomed with open arms. Grey has done a wonderful job in balancing the inner struggle of Pitt's character with the overall grand scale of his journey to reunite with his father.

I do have to nitpick on the VO over-usage. I actually didn't mind it as much as other reviewers but in some places it was totally not appropriate. Also, this is one of those weird films where it felt like it needed to be both a longer film and a shorter one. I don't know about you guys but the pacing just felt off all throughout the 124 minute runtime.

It was for sure a sight to be hold on the premium format, fully showing off the talent of Hoytema and his magnificent framing. Being filmed in 35 added to the beautiful "old-school" look as well.

Forum Pro
Law
What about Max Richter?

Law wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 2:53 am
What about Max Richter?
pitt, richter and hoytema deliver great even amazing work here.

just see the movie dude lol

-Vader

Speaking of which, when does his soundtrack come out? I’d like to hear the track that plays during the lunar launch scene again.

Forum Pro
Law
Vader182 wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 4:05 am
Law wrote:
What about Max Richter?
pitt, richter and hoytema deliver great even amazing work here.

just see the movie dude lol

-Vader
Yeah I’m going tomorrow lol I haven’t had a chance to see it yet

mattyd17 wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 10:01 am
Speaking of which, when does his soundtrack come out? I’d like to hear the track that plays during the lunar launch scene again.
Soon-ish but might not even be the full thing.

Richter and Balfe recorded two entirely separate scores - Gray cherrypicked from both for the final edit, with a heavy dollop of source cues from Richter and Nils Frahm. The moon stuff is actually from Balfe's, apparently.... Anyway, here's what we have so far:

Law wrote:
What about Max Richter?
I think score is weak all around personally. It’s clear there wasn’t a unified vision on what it should be, therefore there’s no cohesion. It’s just there. It’s not bad, but it doesn’t elevate.