Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
DHOPW42 wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 4:43 pm
I wrote two or three paragraphs on the film and no one reacted to that :(
I always read your takes, man. My bad if I haven't responded. You're always worth hearing thoughts from.

The more I sit on WW84, the more of a misfire it seems. We all hate the way Feige runs the MCU as a TV studio, but the quality control he has compared to DC is staggering.

-Vader

Yeah DHOPW42’s posts I always stop to read. And I agree with a lot of what he says on this film, in fact as I read his take I had saved a draft of my own thoughts on this after my initial watch, just never ended posting it lol. We see you dude!

this is why the forum needs a 'like' or reaction feature! @teddy @alex

so what is this movie

it's got a great cast

Zimmer seemed to give a damn

bonus for
invisible jet
But I feel like it is Jenkins who underperformed most of all. She can do a lot better than this. The narrative just isn't as focused as it could've been. I think Diana is too much of a passive character and while the Gadot/Pine chemistry is once again off the charts, I think they should've left Trevor behind for this one. But the latter half of the film seemed to be almost only about Pascal (who is great in this). I liked his character but I don't think Jenkins got that balance down (yet) when it comes to the hero and the villain(s). Speaking of villains, Wiig is amazing but I think her arc could've been a whole of a lot better.

Also quite some of the dialogue is rather wonky

That could not have gone any more perfect than I could imagine.

I haven’t even seen this movie.

I finally watched this film and I don't think it was as bad as people made it out to be imo. The performances from most major characters are excellent. Pedro Pascal is amazing as Maxwell Lord and I really liked the spin the film gave the character and where he eventually ended up and I liked Kristen Wiig's take on her character a lot as well. The soundtrack is also great, especially during the action sequences and during the final confrontation between Diana and Maxwell Lord.

I am fine in theory with the idea of the monkey's paw of wishes as the central conceit of the movie and I appreciate that the hero did not have to kill the villain to win. Where the film gets shaky is how it executes some aspects of the central idea of the wishes. Steve comes close to saying why it is wrong for Diana to keep her wish but the icky implications of her sleeping with him while his spirit(?) is inhabiting a strange man's body is never explicitly called out by the film and so I understand why it was controversial and I have a big problem with the film not calling out the main character for being anything but horrified at the idea of taking advantage of a man she does not know simply to keep the man she loves in her life. I am sure noone would have objected if Steve just manifested out of thin air so it is beyond me why they felt the need to write it this way and why the main character does not seem to realise the terrible implications. It's definitely the worst aspect of the film.

The film also does not require 2h30 minutes to tell this story and it gets a bit long in the middle but picks up towards the end.

Overall, it's a flawed film that has some good elements in it. I definitely prefer the first film, even though the climax of that film was just CG beams and punching.