Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 6:51 pm
The fact that in the two most important scenes of the film in terms of musical potential, they used ripped off music, shows you how disinterested, Zimmer has been, in composing for this film. This is just embarrassing.

Patty explained that she fell in love with those temp tracks and Zimmer said okay. License the first one and seeing as the latter is his anyway.

Around the 19.00 mark.

Dunno how one can reach the conclusion that Zimmer wasn’t feeling this one, this is by far hist best cbmovie score. The entire album is a joy to listen.

Indeed, movie quality aside, opinions online range from trash to pretty good, Zimmer outdid himself with this one. Or, at the very least did one up to what is expected of him on this, now almost superhero-fodder level. Wonder Woman theme is upgraded and reaches Olimpic heights, OST starts strong with the prologue and never lets go. Online premiere reminded the world of what a creative genius that man is.

I just finished watching the film. This might be a case when I have a film in my head that is much better than what I actually got, an argument I usually despise when coming from others. I mean, obviously, the people who wrote and directed it have no obligation towards me to make a film that makes sense in my head... with that said, I had the same problem with the sequel as I had with the first film. Both times it felt like they were setting up a groundbreaking story, only to go with a totally different approach, and I just don't know why.

It always bothered me how the first film says that the First World War was a simple case of good v bad (in the sense that the film boils down to Diana fighting the God of War in the end), especially since when Diana goes to see the trenches, Steve says something like "you cannot save everyone". And I always felt that was such an appropriate line. I remember thinking how amazing this hero story would've been if they somehow incorporated that principle into the story and had Diana realize that being the hero isn't about saving every single life. Then, as we all know, she proceeds to magic-whip-shield-whatever her way through the battlefield, which was such a letdown for me. But okay, I guess they wanted to show that she really could save everyone, so I have to accept it. As I said earlier, the filmmakers have no obligation to make a film I liked :D

But now I felt the same with WW84 in a way. My main issue is that I just don't get why this is set in 1984. I don't get why they decided to solve the Middle East in this film (the story even has time to peek into the Irish-British conflict!). When you look at the film as a whole, it's not a huge part of the story, but still. Why? It felt... cowardly, in a way. It's such a fantasy world, the 80s, you don't really have to think about what all these weird plot elements imply. This way, they really didn't have to say anything serious about our world. But I felt that the whole film could've been much, much more serious in themes if it was set in the 2020s, in the US. Why not have a magic wall pop up between the US and Mexico? Or Canada, if you're not ballsy enough? (or, wait, South Park already dealt with the US-Canada tension) Why not have a scene where an American housewife is shouting all that racist shit at her Mexican boyfriend: "Go back to where you came from"?

This way, of course, it would've been too much on the nose, too transparent, too obvious, but I think The Dark Knight handled the horrifyingly complex and sensitive issue of terrorism and 9/11 quite well. WW84 wants to speak about a world where people's wishful thinking creates a toxic, evil environment for everyone, it's a very familiar world for all of us (Gal Gadot even looks into the camera to deliver her grand speech), but the filmmakers decide to take this story out of its relevant context. The whole 80s thing was just a tired gag for me, and it even lessened the actual interesting theme the film wanted to deal with.

Also, as others have pointed out, it's quite weird to have a conclusion that pretty much says wishing for a better life is, by definition, a bad thing. I'm sure Jenkins didn't mean it like that, but the way the film is constructed comes off like that. Also, the whole Steve subplot is indeed creepy in 2020. And there's no reason whatsoever why they handled his return the way they did. Literally no reason.
Why is Steve in someone else's body? Why isn't he a simple apparition, or a ghost, or a fully fleshed body created from nothing? I mean, the wishing stone could easily do that, right? It could even literally bring him back from the dead. Why go with the body switch route?? I literally don't get it. In 2020, this only creates controversy, and rightfully so.
All in all, I didn't hate it, it's kind of on the same level as the first one, but, to be honest, I've never been a fan of the first one. I may have to rewatch it. And I loved Pedro Pascal. Over the top, in a good way. And I also liked the action.

hm

while i didn’t expect this to be as good as the first, i expected a competent film and this is not that

Michaelf2225 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:58 am
while i didn’t expect this to be as good as the first, i expected a competent film and this is not that
This movie is almost less competent than Doug Peterson’s coaching.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
So what elements constitute a competent film that this film ain't got?

Allstar wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 12:54 pm
Michaelf2225 wrote:
This movie is almost less competent than Doug Peterson’s coaching.
Tough crowd. This man brought you Eagle fans a Super Bowl. What have you done for me lately? indeed :lol:

Michaelf2225 wrote:
No, its much worse than that unfortunately.

Thoughtless. Patronizing. Boring.

-Vader

okay i um underestimated how awkward this movie would be lol

it’s... disappointing

and not even in the sense that i loathe it (which i don’t), but moreso in just how easy imo it could have been to make it into (although maybe) not a masterpiece or anything, but substantially better than what it ended up being