Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
People grew even more toxic after a quarantine year that, somehow, this is the trashiest movie of all of DCEU and the worst sin of both cinema and humanity.

It currently stands at 5.7 on IMDb and there is a war of sorts going on over at Toxic Twitter and the likes.

Just shows how, when it comes to DCEU movies, ever since, hm... BvS... People just cannot chill, like at all. I guess it is human nature to leach onto negativity instead of moving onto things that actually are good in ones mind.

Has anyone timed the amount of IMAX footage? I've heard it's somewhere between 15-20 minutes, but I am looking for a more exact number.

I feel like Wonder Woman (2017) was a pretty straightforward, non-controversial release from the DCEU.

I love Game of Thrones, lots of people don't at this point. They can think it's bad, I disagree and I got enough arguments to back up my opinion. I take the same approach with these blockbusters. As long as it works for you and you can explain why you think it's good why should my opinion outweigh yours if I think it's bad? We might disagree but there's no need for the discussion to become ugly. It's just a movie.

A comparison for how female voters on IMDb have rated the more recent blockbusters directed and led by women.

Brave (7.5/10)
Frozen (7.8/10)
Pitch Perfect 2 (6.7/10)
Wonder Woman (7.8/10)
A Wrinkle in Time (5/10)
Captain Marvel (7.5/10)
Charlie's Angels (5.7/10)
Frozen II (7.3/10)
Birds of Prey (6.7/10)
Mulan (6.1/10)
Wonder Woman 1984 (6.2/10)

m4st4 wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 4:27 pm
People grew even more toxic after a quarantine year that, somehow, this is the trashiest movie of all of DCEU and the worst sin of both cinema and humanity.

It currently stands at 5.7 on IMDb and there is a war of sorts going on over at Toxic Twitter and the likes.

Just shows how, when it comes to DCEU movies, ever since, hm... BvS... People just cannot chill, like at all. I guess it is human nature to leach onto negativity instead of moving onto things that actually are good in ones mind.
Or people actually have legitimate problems with the movie and you're being patronizing by trivializing thousands of takes on the grounds you disagree with them? Impossible, I know.

You don't have to get defensive every time audience and critic reactions differ from your own. You can embrace your own take without undermining those of others.

Anyway, this is an excellent article on the troubling depiction of the Middle East subplot in the movie, this quote in particular is very damning:
That isn’t even touching upon the tone-deaf scene in which Gadot, an Israeli actress who served in the Israel Defense Forces, saves two Egyptian children playing soccer from an incoming truck. The film doesn’t want you to remember Gadot’s July 2014 Facebook post in support of the IDF a week after an Israeli strike on Gaza killed four Palestinian boys who were, in an uncomfortable alignment with WW84, playing soccer at the time of their deaths.
Link: https://slate.com/culture/2020/12/wonde ... acism.html

-Vader

What does Gadot’s nationality and who she supported in her personal life have to do with the movie? I’m pretty sure nothing. Don’t even like Gadot but this seems irrelevant to Wonder Woman 1984. This is not me trying to say the representation of the Middle East in this movie is not shitty, I don’t doubt it. I’m not really interested in the DCEU so I have little interest in actually seeing this for myself so I’ll stay out of the discussion otherwise.

Allstar wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 8:00 pm
What does Gadot’s nationality and who she supported in her personal life have to do with the movie? I’m pretty sure nothing. Don’t even like Gadot but this seems irrelevant to Wonder Woman 1984. This is not me trying to say the representation of the Middle East in this movie is not shitty, I don’t doubt it. I’m not really interested in the DCEU so I have little interest in actually seeing this for myself so I’ll stay out of the discussion otherwise.
What does Louis CK forcing women to watch him masturbate have to do with all his jokes and narrative fiction about masturbation? I'm pretty sure nothing. Don't even like Louis CK but this seems irrelevant to Louis CK's standup and TV show. This is not me trying to say the endless masturbation jokes is not shitty, I don't doubt it. I'm not really interested in stand-up comedy so I have little interest in actually seeing this for myself so I'll stay out of the discussion otherwise.

-Vader

Gadot did not write this script or direct the movie, really a complete false equivalence.

Also, don’t pretend you never found Louis C.K. hilarious and no need for the condescending mocking.

Allstar wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 8:25 pm
Gadot did not write this script or direct the movie, really a complete false equivalence.

Also, don’t pretend you never found Louis C.K. hilarious and no need for the condescending mocking.
You can't separate the art from the artist when the personal life of the artist directly contributes to the text.

Knowing Louis CK's history changed the context in which those movies are perceived. Watching Louis CK endlessly joke about jerking off plays very differently once you know he forced women to watch him masturbate. Likewise, multiple Roman Polanski movies feature elements of rape and sexual assault.

Similarly, WW84s scenes in the Middle East--which have extremely problematic depictions of Muslims and Arabs--play very differently knowing the star, producer and key collaborator is a militant Zionist.

Bizarre to suggest otherwise.

-Vader