Suspiria (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 12:49 am
Bacon wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 12:34 am
Allstar wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 12:29 am
64% 6.9 avg. on RT. This has become exactly this years mother! review wise.
Your thoughts on the film?
Haven’t seen it yet. Are you getting defensive over reviews again? Always a bad look.
🕷

antovolk wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 6:15 pm
Vader182 wrote:
November 1st, 2018, 5:06 pm
A question for those who've seen it (I think Ant, Nomis and Anarchy?) that I've been puzzling since seeing it:

In regards to the ending,
What do you all make of the speech in the epilogue?

On one hand, Mother Suspirium is a necessary purging force in the coven that exposes the hypocrisy and disenfranchisement of the girls, as allegory for Berlin at that time historically and metaphorically and literally destroying antiquated power structures, in the coven and in Berlin, in the process. However, there seems to be a contradiction in how she "forgives" Kemper out of what seems like benevolence, but in reality is a "monstrous" and sad act. The final shot of the film shows a society that has forgotten, and is painted as heartbreaking.

I'm not sure what the movie is doing in these two seemingly opposing aspects of Mother Suspirium, where she is both revolutionary radical doing "good" while doing great evil to Kemper and preventing society from healing en masse. There seems to be a contradiction unless it's just showing she's part of the same evil power structure before just of a different kind? I'm not sure and tbh I don't know if Luca does either.

-Vader
I don't think she's necessarily 'forgiving' him but doing what has to be done in regards to letting someone like him witness the ceremony. Of course she wouldn't let Klemperer remember that the witches etc were indeed real. More importantly though is what she says at the start of that speech (and I double checked the script I have) - she's merely doing it to make up for Markos' supporters traumatising a civilian like him like this with the ceremony (I believe we saw Blanc earlier being reluctant towards the idea of bringing a civilian witness), not to mention manipulating him with the ghost of his dead wife.

Susie/Mother Suspiriorum's purpose throughout is just to take her rightful place in place of Markos (who thought she was Susipiriorum all along when it was Susie). So yeah, it is showing that she's part of the same evil power structure. Blanc is similar in that sense as well and that's set up in the power struggle between her and Markos throughout. Witches, sure, but more humane than the rest and 'good' vs. Markos and her supporters being 'evil'? Vs just always showing the witches in a negative light. Can certainly see Susie/Suspiriorum as an antiheroine with better/purer intentions than the others in sequels as opposed to a negative villain that civilians have to reckon with like Argento did the 'three mothers'.
I also picture Susie as an antiheroine with purer intentions than others. Being Suspiriorum, she still is part of an evil structure (I mean hell, she's one of the Mothers) so I figure that's why those two ideas in the end contradict each other, but it actually does make sense. She's both, Susie does both things. She rids Kemper of his memory, which is quite an evil thing to do, while she also makes him forget the Witchcraft, which was intense as fuck and you could argue it's for the best she made Kemper forget. The ending works for me imo.

I wonder how my opinion of this film changes when I see it again somewhere next week. I mean, it's quite a big film and it's been a while lol.

The reactions to this and mother! now that this is out in the world are so eerily similar. Back to back years, pointing this out is not a bad thing.

Called my theater that took down their listings and theyre not picking up. The other local theater said they havent received it, and they dont know if they will. The original theater that had listings up (the one 70 miles away) put back up their showings. What on earth....

I just want to see this damn movie. I'm not even in a secluded state or city.

That was amazing.

I need some time to put my thoughts together but wow. I loved it.

I totally see why people are saying this is this year's mother! but like it is so much better than mother.

Beggars aren't choosers.

This movie has now become my New Year's wish.🕷

So is this expanding this upcoming weekend or is it fizzling out of theaters? Not sure how to read the box office for this compared to other releases.

Bacon wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 4:23 pm
So is this expanding this upcoming weekend or is it fizzling out of theaters? Not sure how to read the box office for this compared to other releases.
As far as I know, 500-600 theaters.🕷️

Sweet. How many were there before?

Bacon wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 4:31 pm
Sweet. How many were there before?
Correction, 311 was this weekend, expanded from merely 9, I think? Next should go up to 500, at least. Don’t expect glowing business but hopefully you’ll get to finally see it.🕷️