Suspiria (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I didn't say a word about about wanting Suspiria to be Blade Runner 2049 level saturated. Just that the images have the generic desaturated look of dozens of horror movies that flattens depth.

Perhaps m4 will be proven correct, but if so the teaser alone doesn't suggest it.

-Vader

it's not desaturated there's just alotta grey walls/ overcast /snow

i think any trendiness comes from it being retro

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 3:02 am
it's not desaturated there's just alotta grey walls/ overcast /snow

i think any trendiness comes from it being retro
This. Desaturated to me is Solo? Like, this is planned and specific, Solo is just a bad call with no specific intention other than ‘let’s be gritty’ but then it clashes with set design/costume design etc.

Nice to hear good things about the teaser. Going to skip it, I already know I want to see this in theater.

Really should watch the original soon...

Ace wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 9:08 am
Oh,this is looking good.I was alittle apprehensive but feel alot better after seeing that.
Promising.

I wonder why there's a discussion here regarding the look of the film when a teaser trailer, a good one like this, is solely designed to give the viewer an idea what kind of a world, atmosphere the characters are trapped in. The color and all should be discussed after the actual film is seen. This is one of the best teaser trailers since 'American Sniper' and 'BR 2049.'

Rohan wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 1:13 pm
I wonder why there's a discussion here regarding the look of the film when a teaser trailer, a good one like this, is solely designed to give the viewer an idea what kind of a world, atmosphere the characters are trapped in. The color and all should be discussed after the actual film is seen. This is one of the best teaser trailers since 'American Sniper' and 'BR 2049.'
Idk, maybe because people have eyeballs in their sockets and like to comment on every single sensory aspect connected to the actual movie footage, including - shocking I know, visual one.

m4st4 wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 1:21 pm
Rohan wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 1:13 pm
Idk, maybe because people have eyeballs in their sockets and like to comment on every single sensory aspect connected to the actual movie footage, including - shocking I know, visual one.
The teaser is not giving 'every single sensory' aspect to the viewer while its whole purpose is, again, to show the viewer a world that the director has created for his or her character.

Yes, the teaser itself can be dissected, because being able to cut a teaser like this is actually an art form on its own. Don't worry about the color of the film. The feel, that's different, because I feel the paranoia and tension from the teaser thanks to how it's designed, the type of score has been selected for it, and the actors introducing to the viewer the mystery they are going to be dealing with.

m4st4 wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 1:08 am
xWhereAmI? wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 1:01 am
Actually wasnt that impressed with this trailer. Maybe expected way more and not a fan of the dry color palette
Disappointed to hear that from a guy rockin’ The Exorcist avatar.

Is dry another way of saying purposefully subdued? It’s an opinion, of course, but I see it going two ways, both as a tribute to the classic 70s horror and a way of creating palpable, realistic visual tension. I felt uneasy looking at most of the shots. Like that field shot. There’s seemingly nothing going on there but in combination with music I felt shivers.
I do love the shots though, just wished it had a little more pop.

Wasn't the original (which I havent seen) super colorful?

xWhereAmI? wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 10:33 pm
m4st4 wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 1:08 am
xWhereAmI? wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 1:01 am
Actually wasnt that impressed with this trailer. Maybe expected way more and not a fan of the dry color palette
Disappointed to hear that from a guy rockin’ The Exorcist avatar.

Is dry another way of saying purposefully subdued? It’s an opinion, of course, but I see it going two ways, both as a tribute to the classic 70s horror and a way of creating palpable, realistic visual tension. I felt uneasy looking at most of the shots. Like that field shot. There’s seemingly nothing going on there but in combination with music I felt shivers.
I do love the shots though, just wished it had a little more pop.

Wasn't the original (which I havent seen) super colorful?
Indeed it was.