Suspiria (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
"Roses are red, violets are blue. The iris is a flower...that will mean the end of YOU!"

Bring me that slow-burn Horror...

This is probably the best teaser of the year. It establishes the tone and visual style and shows us what we need to know at this point in time about the narrative. You don't even need a full-length trailer now; ride the marketing on the Teaser alone.

Rohan wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 1:16 pm
This is how one cuts a teaser trailer, Marvel, DC, Star Wars fans.
Did a Marvel/DC/Star Wars fan fuck your mother or something?

Numbers wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 8:29 pm
Rohan wrote:
Sounds like I pissed you off so hard it made you lose your humaneness. :lol:

Rohan wrote:
June 5th, 2018, 7:59 pm
Numbers wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 8:29 pm
Rohan wrote:
Sounds like I pissed you off so hard it made you lose your humaneness. :lol:
Uhm... not really? Reported for troll baiting, hopefuly couple of days in the pit for you.

Actually wasnt that impressed with this trailer. Maybe expected way more and not a fan of the dry color palette

xWhereAmI? wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 1:01 am
Actually wasnt that impressed with this trailer. Maybe expected way more and not a fan of the dry color palette
Disappointed to hear that from a guy rockin’ The Exorcist avatar.

Is dry another way of saying purposefully subdued? It’s an opinion, of course, but I see it going two ways, both as a tribute to the classic 70s horror and a way of creating palpable, realistic visual tension. I felt uneasy looking at most of the shots. Like that field shot. There’s seemingly nothing going on there but in combination with music I felt shivers.

while I'm cautiously optimistic, I'm not happy about the grade either.

It has the generic undersaturated look of sadly way too many horror movies / darker dramas. It's often kind of ugly and has a flattening effect.

-Vader

I don't think a colourful palette would work with the winter setting. Guadagnino is incredible at capturing the feeling of any of the four reasons. Call Me By Your Name made me feel like I was experiencing the 1983 Summer with Elio, and when it cuts to the winter portion, you felt the same chill he did. Same with A Bigger Splash, just without the winter aspect.

Vader182 wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 1:18 am
while I'm cautiously optimistic, I'm not happy about the grade either.

It has the generic undersaturated look of sadly way too many horror movies / darker dramas. It's often kind of ugly and has a flattening effect.

-Vader
Interesting. Well, everybody expected the tehnicolor approach and, for me at least, thankfully they decided to do their own thing from the ground up. I don’t see it being generic at all, on the contrary. Yes, most of the horrors nowadays look samey, but this is more in the vein of Wicker Man or Rosemary’s Baby, where the normal and ugly is meant to dominate, so you notice the beauty, the unnatural, when it happens, like her floating on the doorway. Compositions are flawless though.

The modernist aesthetic of ugly, if you like.