Hellboy (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Pass.

By the look of the film, it must've cost 90-100 million to make. Which was the budget Del Toro asked for to finish his trilogy, but the studio thought it was too much. So then you reboot this franchise, but you still gave the same amount of money the other guy was asking to finish his films, and you also made it R-rated? I bet you guys who made that decision are now biting your nails after Del Toro won his two Oscars. He's now a Hollywood legend. You blew your chance. If Hellboy 3 was released today, it would've at least make a 500 mill or more. The hype engine of the superhero genre right now guarantees commercial success for any superhero movie that is entertaining at some capacity. Previous Hellboy movies did poorly, sure. But so did Batman Begins, which was released the same year. When superhero genre started expanding, movies started making money by default. Hellboy movies catch on to people much later. They did well on DVDs. Now they have a cult following. Add that to the hype surrounding the genre and Del Toro's two Oscars and you have an immediate hit on your hands. This movie is gonna bomb harder than any of the Del Toro movies.

a) Casual moviegoers probably don't care about the old Hellboy movies. Like you said a CULT following. "Cult" doesn't really imply big money if you make a new one. And also it's been over 10 years from the last one, at some point it's just too little too late for a movie like this.

b) Del Toro makes by no means guaranteed hit movies, both box office or critically. Look at Pacific Rim (BARELY maybe broke even at best) and Crimson Peak (bombed, lost money to the studio)

I also don't think, the oscars matter that much in the superhero business. Especially considering Del Toro's track record in box office...

Del Toro's 3rd Hellboy movie would definitely not have been a "guaranteed 500mil or more"

Batman's Batman wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 3:36 pm
By the look of the film, it must've cost 90-100 million to make. Which was the budget Del Toro asked for to finish his trilogy, but the studio thought it was too much. So then you reboot this franchise, but you still gave the same amount of money the other guy was asking to finish his films, and you also made it R-rated? I bet you guys who made that decision are now biting your nails after Del Toro won his two Oscars. He's now a Hollywood legend. You blew your chance. If Hellboy 3 was released today, it would've at least make a 500 mill or more. The hype engine of the superhero genre right now guarantees commercial success for any superhero movie that is entertaining at some capacity. Previous Hellboy movies did poorly, sure. But so did Batman Begins, which was released the same year. When superhero genre started expanding, movies started making money by default. Hellboy movies catch on to people much later. They did well on DVDs. Now they have a cult following. Add that to the hype surrounding the genre and Del Toro's two Oscars and you have an immediate hit on your hands. This movie is gonna bomb harder than any of the Del Toro movies.
Film budgets have become quite inflated since that time. $100 million is not much today.

Film budgets have become quite inflated since that time. $100 million is not much today.
Del Toro was trying to make the third Hellboy until 2015-2016. I don't think a 100 million dollars back then was any different to a 100 million dollars in today's estimates.
Last edited by Batman's Batman on April 5th, 2019, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casual moviegoers probably don't care about the old Hellboy movies.
Casual moviegoers probably didn't care about Captain Marvel and Aquaman either. Look at how that turned out.
Like you said a CULT following. "Cult" doesn't really imply big money if you make a new one.
Cult following still makes a character like Hellboy more known to the public than someone like Aquaman, whose most popular incarnation before his movie was his lame character from the Superfriends show, which was always laughed at.
And also it's been over 10 years from the last one, at some point it's just too little too late for a movie like this.
Remind me, how many years have past between Glass and Unbrakable? Last time I checked, Glass was a hit, despite being a sequel to an 18-year-old movie.
b) Del Toro makes by no means guaranteed hit movies, both box office or critically.
At this point, he's got more hits than failures. And I was not talking solely about his name alone being the driving force of the movie. I said that the hype surrounding the superhero genre now guarantees success to almost any superhero movie that has some level of entertainment in it. Even the goddamn Fan4stick made more money than any of the Hellboy movies. And it made that money only because it was in the middle of the superhero boom, which Hellboy movies did not participate in, since superhero movies at that point in time were still a niche genre. Only Raimi's Spider-Man movies were making overwhelming profits at that time. Nowadays, a goddamn Ant-Man movie can make half a billion.
Look at Pacific Rim (BARELY maybe broke even at best) and Crimson Peak (bombed, lost money to the studio)
A) Pacific Rim was an ode to anime. When was the last time that a movie inspired by anime did extremely well at the box office? Even if it's good, it's less likely to do well. Look at Edge of Tomorrow.

B) Crimson Peak was an R-rated horror romance. It's not a crowd-pleasing blockbuster, duh.
I really don't think the oscars matter that much in the superhero business
Uh-huh. Wait for the promo campaign for Black Panther 2 to begin and watch how every tagline will mention "the sequel to the acclaimed Best Picture nominee". Oscars don't mean much when it comes to a small director that directs small films, since the tagline "from the Oscar-winning director" won't really help that much, because indie directors win Oscars every year. But when it comes to capeshit, that tagline can really help, since it implies that a person of vast credibility and talent is doing a superhero film.
Del Toro's 3rd Hellboy movie would definitely not have been a "guaranteed 500mil or more"
Well, since the movie will never exist, neither you or I can say yes or not. But I will say yes, still. If Ant-Man and Captain Marvel can make huge profits, despite lacking any kind of imagination or style, something as diverse and unique as Del Toro's Hellboy movie would definitely get the money it deserves if it was released today.

This Hellboy will make a tons more money then Guillermo del Toro's version NOT because it's better but because we are in a different generation with these young kids and their social media influences. By the look of this Guillermo del Toro's version to me is still a hell superior to the version that we are getting and that's like 10-15yrs ago.
Last edited by LEXX on April 7th, 2019, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You shouldn't compare Hellboy to Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel and Aquaman are both part of these modern superhero franchises that are both extremely popular (yes, even DC, with fans). Casual moviegoers didn't care about Captain Marvel as a character but they care more than anything about the MCU, especially right before Endgame.

The DCU (or whatever it's called) doesn't have the amount of trust that MCU has with their fans, but if they put out a movie that gets a good word-of-mouth they are sure to be huge, just like Wonder Woman, Aquaman and most likely Shazam too.

But whatever, this movie looks like ass...

Batman's Batman wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 11:59 am
Del Toro was trying to make the third Hellboy until 2015-2016. I don't think a 100 million dollars back then was any different to a 100 million dollars in today's estimates.
Okay then that’s bullshit, unprofessional, and the studio owes him an apology.

LEXX wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 2:02 pm
This Hellboy will make a tons more movie then Guillermo del Toro's version NOT because it's better but because we are in a different generation with these young kids and their social media influences. By the look of this Guillermo del Toro's version to me is still a hell superior to the version that we are getting and that's like 10-15yrs ago.
This new version will NOT make a lot of money. It will more than likely lose money if it's budgeted at 100 million.