Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
It's interesting how many people are commenting on this as if Marty is the one determining the budget and has delusions of grandeur. Aviator, Gangs (where he had to make big concessions in the third act), The Irishman, Vinyl, Boardwalk Empire, all the money is there on the screen.

Yeah, it seems insanely high but there has to be a reason, Tillinger Koskoff and co know what they're doing. If this is the price tag to do it right, then that's what it is.

I asked someone who's read it out of curiosity if it was an epic: "Pretty big scale from roughly 1870s to @DavidGrann & Osage families finding new facts a few years ago. But most of it happens in 20s. If @netflix is smelling profits again, give Marty a free reign--that's what I say, anyways. And people should know. Won't be a normal Western."

So it's possible there's an element none of us are seeing or are aware of. I've also seen someone (although I can't find Scorsese mentioning it) that the film would be different from the book. But a lot of location shooting, probably heavy VFX component in terms of extensions, reconstituting the period, lots of lavish sets, a big scale. Eric Roth describes it as possibly one of the great last westerns.

Paramount clearly still wants to stay on, so sharing the cost with Netflix could be acceptable for them. And yes, it's 200M, but considering how happy Netflix seems (and Marty) with the experience on The Irishman, I'd be surprised if they missed out on this.

Apple seems like a stretch, they're still really green. Universal and MGM could be interesting and obviously, there's the Bond experience.

It's not that the movie doesn't require it. We don't know what the movie is right now yo tell. The point we're making is that there's no way studios would make money on such a budget with a period film right now. If we had the money none of us would be willing to give Marty the budget he wants. I definitely wouldn't want to risk that much on such a bad bet

Based on how things went with Irishman, the right choice. Gets the full theatrical window and wide global release via Paramount, then just skips traditional home ent and goes onto ATV+ 16 weeks later or so. Criterion or similar Blu-ray probably too.

This is great news. The idea of De Niro and DiCaprio is so enticing.

-Vader

I really do not want to make an iTunes account or use up an Apple Music trial to watch a Scorsese film. :|

The Irishman at least is getting a Criterion, which is great to hear. I doubt Apple would ever let that happen.

Bacon wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 7:47 pm
I really do not want to make an iTunes account or use up an Apple Music trial to watch a Scorsese film. :|

The Irishman at least is getting a Criterion, which is great to hear. I doubt Apple would ever let that happen.
would you rather it didn't exist

-Vader

Bacon wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Well if Netflix let it happen, who's to say any other major streamer wouldn't? In fact, I'd say considering Scorsese got such a deal with a streamer in the past, it's more likely for him to get such a deal in the future.

Apple+ hasn't even been around for a year so it's too soon to wonder if a Criterion will happen or not.

Scorsese does a lot of work with Criterion. I imagine he put it in his contract with Apple wanting a physical release through a company of his choosing.

This is a great move for Apple and Scorsese tbh.

What we see happening is the upside of capitalism and art. This kind of competition between streamers is going to get a lot of expensive, unusual projects financed that would not exist otherwise. Especially when streamers care less about traditional "box office" and more about keeping subscribers happy. It's extremely silly to complain, imo, when we're blessed The Irishman, Roma, etc, exist at all.

I was going to say Orson Welles was decades too late, as he'd have thrived in the world of streaming. Until I remembered, Netflix already released a previously unfinished Welles film.

-Vader