Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Paramount Buys Martin Scorsese-Leonardo DiCaprio’s Crime Thriller ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’
Paramount will finance and distribute the Martin Scorsese-Leonardo DiCaprio murder mystery movie, “Killers of the Flower Moon.”

Paramount chief Jim Gianopolous announced the deal Wednesday at the studio’s CineEurope presentation in Barcelona. Scorsese will direct and DiCaprio is attached to star in the adaptation of David Grann’s non-fiction book. Eric Roth is writing the screenplay.

Imperative Entertainment partners Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas acquired the project in 2016, before Doubleday’s publication of Grann’s book. “Killers of the Flower Moon” is set in 1920s Oklahoma, where the newly created Bureau of Investigation began investigating a string of murders of wealthy Osage Indians who had been granted revenue rights to oil discovered under their lands. The book carries the subtitle “The Osage Murders and the Birth of the F.B.I.”

The project will mark the sixth film DiCaprio and Scorsese have worked on together, most recently teaming on 2013’s “The Wolf of Wall Street.” Variety first reported that DiCaprio and Scorsese had come on to the project in 2017 and the duo officially announced that they had come on board last October. They have also teamed on “Gangs of New York,” “The Aviator,” “The Departed” and “Shutter Island.”

Scorsese will produce alongside Imperative Entertainment’s Friedkin and Thomas, Sikelia Productions’ Emma Tillinger Koskoff, and Appian Way Productions. News about the Paramount deal was first reported by Deadline.

About 50 pages into the book right now.

Shit...this movie is gonna be good.

The book has amazing descriptive language for the setting and the characterizations of the key players are in depth too. I'm so excited that Scorsese is moving forward with this.

It's really well researched and tautly written too.

Artemis wrote:
June 30th, 2019, 2:46 pm
About 50 pages into the book right now.

Shit...this movie is gonna be good.

The book has amazing descriptive language for the setting and the characterizations of the key players are in depth too. I'm so excited that Scorsese is moving forward with this.

It's really well researched and tautly written too.
Plan on picking this up soon.

Any other major roles besides Leo based on first 50 pages? Report back when you're done.

So far Mollie Burkhart (the sister of the murdered woman) and her husband Ernest's. There's also sheriffs, medical examiners, and William Hale who Ernest's uncle. A lot so far has been small time characters but I'm excited to see how they will be cast.

Excited for the acting opportunities Native Americans will get too. This book talks about the social hierarchy of Osage county and the Osage tribe were very wealthy and it paints a different story of Native Americans than the ones we usually see.

Shooting confirmed to take place spring/summer 2020 with DiCaprio/DeNiro starring :thumbup:

For anyone who plan on reading this, they're basically going to adapt only the middle section of the book which is the FBI investigation led by Leo's character.

It's a really fucking dark story and again new ground by Scorsese. What a guy, he'll be near 80 when this will be released.

WHAT A WONDERFUL NEWS.

what do y'all think of the book?

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 12:24 pm
Shooting confirmed to take place spring/summer 2020 with DiCaprio/DeNiro starring :thumbup:

For anyone who plan on reading this, they're basically going to adapt only the middle section of the book which is the FBI investigation led by Leo's character.

It's a really fucking dark story and again new ground by Scorsese. What a guy, he'll be near 80 when this will be released.
How do you know they’re only adapting the middle? How are the characters of Leo and DeNiro? Is it a unique role for Leo?

Allstar wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 6:15 pm
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 12:24 pm

How do you know they’re only adapting the middle? How are the characters of Leo and DeNiro? Is it a unique role for Leo?
First third is a very factual account of the murders. I guess it could be a five-minute prologue, but there's not much narrative meat around it

Last third is the author himself investigating in Osage territory in present time and the book just stops being a narrative story and become almost a long NY Times journalist story.

The middle is the bulk of the book and is Hoover sending one of his best agents Tom White (DiCaprio) to solve the murders. De Niro plays William Hale, the guy who owns half the town. Will stop there, because even if it's all true history, I didn't know anything about it before reading it, so don't want to spoil the story. Third main role is a Native american in her thirties, hope Scorsese will cast a local!

There's not much dialogue in the book, it's hard to say how the characters will come on screen, but I'd say De Niro has the juiciest role. DiCaprio is clearly the lead but is classic good FBI agent. The setting (rich Native Americans having white servants because of oil and then tons of them getting mysteriously killed) is the true star.