Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LelekPL wrote:Well they still left a lot of room for many superheroes to be killed in Infinity War. Iron Man, Thor, Cap and Hulk, the original and biggest 4 of the MCU, don't have any movies scheduled past the next Avengers film. That leaves a lot of room for potential stakes and tension. Yeah, you know that (some of the) Guardians, Black Panther and Captain Marvel are going to be alright... but weren't you expecting that already?
This.

Also,

To steal from Armand-

Yes, because whether characters live or die is why you watch things.

Allstar wrote:
LelekPL wrote:Well they still left a lot of room for many superheroes to be killed in Infinity War. Iron Man, Thor, Cap and Hulk, the original and biggest 4 of the MCU, don't have any movies scheduled past the next Avengers film. That leaves a lot of room for potential stakes and tension. Yeah, you know that (some of the) Guardians, Black Panther and Captain Marvel are going to be alright... but weren't you expecting that already?
This.

Also,

To steal from Armand-

Yes, because whether characters live or die is why you watch things.
That's not why we watch things (I hope for excellent storyteling and writing and so far the MCU refuses to give me that) but it at least partially contributes to the stakes and tension of the film and since none of these characters seem to consider anything a serious threat (because they keep constantly making witty jokes that defuse the tension and reduce the stakes), I don't care about the characters and if some of them were to bite the dust in Infinity War that at least would make this somewhat interesting because other characters would react to the death of their friends, which could lead to interesting and surprising character growth.
Let's say I have watched all these MCU films and yet I happen to only care about the GotG characters...and yet I now also know all of them make it out ok. That's a pretty boring movie for me then because with a cast this big there's only a slim chance that Infinity War will develop the characters I care about so why would I then not skip the Infinity War films if the characters I'm interested in risk getting short-changed?

Batfan175 wrote:That's not why we watch things (I hope for excellent storyteling and writing and so far the MCU refuses to give me that)
If only they could write as good dialogue as D&D do for the sand snakes. Along with the general dumbing down of the story.

Batfan175 wrote:Let's say I have watched all these MCU films and yet I happen to only care about the GotG characters...and yet I now also know all of them make it out ok.
Once again, nobody said that all of them will make it out alive. The Guardians line-up can be as revolving as the Avengers line-up.

The only ones that are truly safe are the newcomers like Black Panther and Captain Marvel. Oh, yeah and Ant-Man and Doctor Strange but I keep forgetting about them. Doesn't everyone? :P

Also if you watch Episode 8, you know that Rey won't die. Does it make it less interesting. No, not really (granted, there are other issues about that episode that I have). The heroes don't have to be in risk of dying. Until Rises, Batman is never in any risk of dying in the Nolan trilogy. It's not about what happens to him but what happens to his environment - Gotham, the supporting characters, etc.

Now the wittiness doesn't bother me on its own. The funnier in tone these movies are, the better they have been so far. My favorites thus far are Iron Man, Avengers and Guardians and they were all great comedic films, FILLED with witty characters that make these movies what they are - fun. However, it's the goofiness in an overall serious movie that bothers me - like in Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 3, Age of Ultron, Black Widow's character in Winter Soldier (yeah, I'm not a big fan of that film), that beloved airport battle in Civil War (yep, also not a fan of that scene - the movie's really good, though).

LelekPL wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:Let's say I have watched all these MCU films and yet I happen to only care about the GotG characters...and yet I now also know all of them make it out ok.
Once again, nobody said that all of them will make it out alive. The Guardians line-up can be as revolving as the Avengers line-up.

The only ones that are truly safe are the newcomers like Black Panther and Captain Marvel. Oh, yeah and Ant-Man and Doctor Strange but I keep forgetting about them. Doesn't everyone? :P

Also if you watch Episode 8, you know that Rey won't die. Does it make it less interesting. No, not really (granted, there are other issues about that episode that I have). The heroes don't have to be in risk of dying. Until Rises, Batman is never in any risk of dying in the Nolan trilogy. It's not about what happens to him but what happens to his environment - Gotham, the supporting characters, etc.

Now the wittiness doesn't bother me on its own. The funnier in tone these movies are, the better they have been so far. My favorites thus far are Iron Man, Avengers and Guardians and they were all great comedic films, FILLED with witty characters that make these movies what they are - fun. However, it's the goofiness in an overall serious movie that bothers me - like in Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 3, Age of Ultron, Black Widow's character in Winter Soldier (yeah, I'm not a big fan of that film), that beloved airport battle in Civil War (yep, also not a fan of that scene - the movie's really good, though).
I agree with everything you say here because you are right: the Christopher Nolan batman films managed to make us care about what the characters cared about instead of just the fate of the characters. It happened to be the case that the characters cared about complex issues of justice and corruption and the execution of the filmmaking kept me engaged and the focus on a limited group of core characters helped with that as well.

If the MCU films managed to make me care about something other than wheter or not a joke was funny, like an idea or a concept or something I wouldn't be as pessimistic about the whole endeavour. Of course I agree that it would be boring if the only question is whether the charactes live or die but that question is sadly the highest level of subtlety these empty MCU films can achieve in my opinion and so far they are too afraid to even go near that because none of these superheroes ever feel like they are in dangerous situations. Plus, MCU stories are overstuffed with characters, most of which as a result end up getting little to do and little to no development and even if they do it is always just the bare minimum necessary because there is something the viewers associate with a successful brand and so the studio has an incentive to not change the brand too much because it would not want to alienate a loyal fanbase by changing the characters too much.

What do you get out of consistently going into these threads and engaging when your opinion will never change?

Allstar wrote:What do you get out of consistently going into these threads and engaging when your opinion will never change?
I ask myself this about you a lot.

Hm... Controversial but I think I want a more modern soundtrack for Vol.3
Like 90s and upwards. Basically, an excuse for anything Nirvana really.

As someone who LOVES Nirvana, I kind of want people to explore more of the other 90s music styles tbh. it's sad grunge is the primo thing people associate with the era, when it can be so much more

like, it might be GTA San Andreas talking in me, but speaking of late 80s to 90s, I'd really be up for a new jack swing revival in modern pop culture