Vice (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I loved this movie. Usually, I don't enjoy movies where it rushes through these vital historical points, but I just loved how it went for some completely ambitious tones and techniques and they all paid off for me. Where The Big Short felt like I was sitting an exam that I hadn't studied for, for me this was an enthralling odyssey of how one man shaped the political and social climate for the 21st century. Bale has probably delivered the performance of the year for me. You hate him, but you just want to see what he does next.

They release Vice in February here in Hungary, so I'll have to wait until then. But I'm really looking forward to seeing the film!

So, how was my boy Greig Frasers work in this?

Nomis wrote:
December 30th, 2018, 5:38 pm
So, how was my boy Greig Frasers work in this?
Very good. But then he made that Snow White film look interesting so no shock.

he's very talented isn't he

sucks that it takes such a long time for this film to come to my country...

BlairCo wrote:
December 30th, 2018, 3:41 am
I loved this movie. Usually, I don't enjoy movies where it rushes through these vital historical points, but I just loved how it went for some completely ambitious tones and techniques and they all paid off for me. Where The Big Short felt like I was sitting an exam that I hadn't studied for, for me this was an enthralling odyssey of how one man shaped the political and social climate for the 21st century. Bale has probably delivered the performance of the year for me. You hate him, but you just want to see what he does next.
Basically this ^^^.
I...LOVED this? McKay taking what he did with The Big Short to another level entirely on all fronts. It's an unapologetic and angry movie and is all the better for it. Bale for Best Actor pls and the rest of cast is so good too.

The thing about this is that it's so damn entertaining to watch and you still walk away with a sense of... we're so screwed and this is how we got there. It's blunt like a sledgehammer, sure, but that's not a bad thing, and with the approach McKay takes the bluntness is needed. And I just adore how operatic it goes, (Brittell killing it score wise this year between this and Beale Street). I guess this is where the disconnect is, this more mockumentary esque approach tends to be better suited to verite visuals (like in TBS)...But I loved how McKay embraced the formalism and really went for the two extremes, and went even more meta than Big Short and somehow made it all work. Bravo bravo

For what did they use 16mm and 8mm?

I thought this was rather mediocre. Didn't really find anything enjoyable except for the performances.
Nomis wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 10:36 am
For what did they use 16mm and 8mm?
For filming recreations of TV-footage, from what it looked like.

What a great movie! Christian Bale is awesome! :batman: