Venom (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Imagine an R rated Spider-Man movie or one where he co-stars, yeah never happening over there at the MCU lol

Really looking forward to this. Venom is one of my favorite anti-heroes and Hardy is a fantastic pick

Tom Hardy is great and all but he can play in some shitty movies, though. So it's good that they got a great actor but it doesn't really make me more or less hopeful for the film.

And I thought Zombieland was overrated. Not funny or clever enough.
Venom is to usher in a host of movies from Sony's Marvel and Spider-Man-based universe of characters. Sony is rebooting its Marvel-based slate with this summer’s Spider-Man: Homecoming and Venom is a key title in its slate.
What does this sentence mean? Is he or is he not a part of the Homecoming universe? Because the reports said it isn't. However, this suggests it is.
Last edited by LelekPL on May 19th, 2017, 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nomis wrote:Imagine an R rated Spider-Man movie or one where he co-stars, yeah never happening over there at the MCU lol

Really looking forward to this. Venom is one of my favorite anti-heroes and Hardy is a fantastic pick
I can imagine it being a miss, a la pretty but shallow Todd McFarlane stuff in the 90s (Torment!):

I mean, Venom doesn't have to be hard-R to be Venom, although solo outing could end up being just the right thing. Still... weeeeeeird Sony being weird for several years now.

I'm overall quite fond of the 90s Spider-Man stuff imo

I think this film has got the ingredients to be something very neat, hope it gets a decent budget

Nomis wrote:I'm overall quite fond of the 90s Spider-Man stuff imo
I grew up reading Maximum Carnage so... yeah. ;) Objective me understands the pulp, but subjective side embraces the nostalgia. And, to be fair, one of the best Spidey stories of all time is pitch black.
Let's see how Sony chooses to further develop this thing.

Yeah I remember that one as well, good stuff imo

I guess they'll completely ignore Spidey in this

Good choices here but studio interference will ruin this film.

Forum Pro
Law
Morrie's_Wig wrote:
I like how he's sporting the Al Capone scars.

Also, inb4 the "Tom Hardy Drops Out of Venom" articles in about 2 months.

Oku
LelekPL wrote:Tom Hardy is great and all but he can play in some shitty movies, though. So it's good that they got a great actor but it doesn't really make me more or less hopeful for the film.

And I thought Zombieland was overrated. Not funny or clever enough.
Venom is to usher in a host of movies from Sony's Marvel and Spider-Man-based universe of characters. Sony is rebooting its Marvel-based slate with this summer’s Spider-Man: Homecoming and Venom is a key title in its slate.
What does this sentence mean? Is he or is he not a part of the Homecoming universe? Because the reports said it isn't. However, this suggests it is.
Which "shitty movies"??

His Certified Fresh movies in the last eight years heavily outnumber his Rotten movies:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/tom_hardy/
Bacon wrote:Good choices here but studio interference will ruin this film.
Mr. Hardy wouldn't have joined if that were the case.

Look at how he vowed never to make another romantic comedy after This Means War, and you can see that he doesn't make the same mistake twice.

Especially after dropping out of Suicide Squad and seeing that one get critically mauled, he wouldn't have joined this one without being sure of its quality.

okungnyo wrote:
Bacon wrote:Good choices here but studio interference will ruin this film.
Mr. Hardy wouldn't have joined if that were the case.

Look at how he vowed never to make another romantic comedy after This Means War, and you can see that he doesn't make the same mistake twice.

Especially after dropping out of Suicide Squad and seeing that one get critically mauled, he wouldn't have joined this one without being sure of its quality.
I want to hope as Venom is one of my favorite comic book characters of all time, but Sony has yet to prove themselves to me. Even Homecoming doesn't look spectacular (no pun intended). Hopefully this goes the Fox route (Deadpool & Logan) of story driven, character stories without studio interference when it comes to smaller scale comic book films. I just don't have a lot of confidence even though I think the casting is great.