Get Out (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I joined to get on the Dunkirk train and to talk movies, so I'm a little shocked that there's no thread on this fantastic movie? If there is one, please ignore this message and accept my apologies.

Anyway, below is the trailer, and my review.

For a debut film, I thought this was really, really good. It wasn't perfect, but it was well done, especially for the genre. People are saying it's both funny and scary, I would say that it's more creepy and suspenseful with some moments of levity, and a running strand of dark humor throughout. I do think the trailer gives away too much and the twists would have been much more effective if they had held back a bit in the advertising. Speaking of the twist,
Peele says he wants to build a universe around this theme, so I look forward to more answers to those questions. I would definitely pay to see a continuation of this.
Even knowing what the twist was going in, I still found the build up to it effective. The thing that really makes this movie shine though is the dialogue and the acting. A lot of the satire and social commentary is subtle and comes off so natural and realistic it almost doesn't feel satirical at all. In less competent hands, like a Tyler Perry or Daniels, this theme could have been very hamfisted and preachy. But Peele sneaks shade and commentary in like a ninja (most of the time). Any black person who has ever been the only in a room of whites has heard a lot of the things these people say. And Daniel Kaluuya, Allison Williams, Bradley Whitford, Catherine Keener, and Lil Rel all bring their A game. Kaluuya especially shines here, conveying an impressive range of emotion like a pro, and Lil Rel stole every scene he was in. Dude is very funny, and I hope to see him in more movies.

My only problem with this film besides the giveaway trailer is that it wasn't completely fluid. While the dialogue is natural, some of the transitions and lingering camera shots didn't quite feel natural. It was almost like Peele was trying to tell us "pay attention to this, it's gonna come up later!" or "isn't that weird?!". It's strange that he careful with being so subtle with his social commentary in the dialogue, but then kinda beats the audience over the head with way he pauses a moment to make sure we know it's a MOMENT. But I chalk that up to beginner clumsiness.

Overall, this was a really brilliant debut for a first time horror writer/director, especially with a comedic background. I think this is gonna be a instant cult classic because it's' so different, and it was so much fun in many ways.

I give this a 9 out of 10 or two thumbs up.

Hm, sort of interested in this lol

Wait how did this not have a thread already?

how do you have 12 posts and the ability to correctly embed a youtube video?

shit took me forever lmao

Michaelf2225 wrote:how do you have 12 posts and the ability to correctly embed a youtube video?

cuz u nab

Michaelf2225 wrote:how do you have 12 posts and the ability to correctly embed a youtube video?

Nope, I fixed it. :P

I really wanna experience this at the cinema, lol. I heard its much more engaging with a crowd.

Instantly in modern horror pantheon of It Follows/Conjuring/Babadook/The VVitch. Get Out is the equivalent to high wire act being performed by someone who you know is talented but has never gone on a high wire and doesn't just not fall but somehow makes a perfect landing. One false step, one joke that rings false, one tonal mistake, this goes from razor-sharp satiric comedy/ psychological horror into something that's offensive and "racist" and would completely fail. The way Peele positions the premise, the tone, the style, and the overall story essentially puts himself in a corner where one fuckup would severely hurt the overall movie because of how sensitively it must navigate PC-terrain. And he doesn't fuck it up. Peele's writing as sharp as a Hattori Hanzo sword, and it's as beautiful and affecting as it is devilishly clever in its deconstructions of race/microaggrssion/social order/relationships/liberal prejudice.

The fact Peele also made a genuinely frightening, funny, and extremely well directed horror movie is almost a bonus to everything else Get Out actually accomplishes. Dang.

Also, yes, see this in theaters if possible especially with an audience. Preferably a thoroughly black one. It will add to the experience.

-Vader

just saw it, and i pretty much echo what Vader said

while the premise and themes are very deep and really work for the film, the construction of the whole thing was a bit pop entertainment-y for me - though i recognize that's a stupid reason to not absolutely love it

strong 8/10

Michaelf2225 wrote:just saw it, and i pretty much echo what Vader said

while the premise and themes are very deep and really work for the film, the construction of the whole thing was a bit pop entertainment-y for me - though i recognize that's a stupid reason to not absolutely love it

strong 8/10
What do you mean by pop entertainment construction. I'm intrigued.