Get Out (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:Berardinelli called this one of the top five overrated movies of the year. Can't argue there.

Critics normally don't go out of their way to praise horror films, even well-made ones. That's what makes Get Out an outlier. The reason: it takes on racism head-on. While that's laudable, the quality in and of itself doesn't make Get Out an instant Oscar contender (which is where it's headed). As horror movies go, this one is better-than-average and its mixture of satire, dark comedy, and suspense makes us take notice. But to put with the year's best smacks of pandering. I recommend everyone who likes psychological thrillers see Get Out and I appreciate its take on a hot-button issue but the latter characteristic doesn't automatically make it a great movie.

£
i do not think i could agree with an assessment more than i do here

it's the hipster in me, but the raves for it critically and culturally have made me like it less and less as the year has progressed

Master Virgo wrote:Berardinelli called this, one of the top five overrated movies of the year. Can't argue there.

Critics normally don't go out of their way to praise horror films, even well-made ones. That's what makes Get Out an outlier. The reason: it takes on racism head-on. While that's laudable, the quality in and of itself doesn't make Get Out an instant Oscar contender (which is where it's headed). As horror movies go, this one is better-than-average and its mixture of satire, dark comedy, and suspense makes us take notice. But to put with the year's best smacks of pandering. I recommend everyone who likes psychological thrillers see Get Out and I appreciate its take on a hot-button issue but the latter characteristic doesn't automatically make it a great movie.

£
completely agree with this

+1

This film is no better than average.

Quell wrote:This film is no better than average.
Get...Out!
Lol, and in what ways is this film so very average, my good sir? Because as it stands now, your review is way below average.

Average AF.

Batfan175 wrote:
Quell wrote:This film is no better than average.
Get...Out!
Lol, and in what ways is this film so very average, my good sir? Because as it stands now, your review is way below average.
Well there's no need to come to such a defence over such an average film, sir. Should I choose to review said picture I'm sure it will indulge you, sir.

Get Out qualifies as a masterpiece. A film at the zeitgeist of art and culture and politics.

A perfect film all around. Don't waste your breath.

Give me a break.

MyCocaine wrote:Get Out qualifies as a masterpiece. A film at the zeitgeist of art and culture and politics.

A perfect film all around. Don't waste your breath.
There’s no middle ground with you huh, movie is either shit or you build a temple in its name.