The Post: The Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 4:08 pm
I went from typical ‘meh Oscar bait blah-blah’ to ‘you idiot, it’s S.S., shut your dirty mouth and watch it this week’. So I’m going Thursday.
i don't think steven would appreciate this

Pratham wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 11:52 pm
m4st4 wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 4:08 pm
I went from typical ‘meh Oscar bait blah-blah’ to ‘you idiot, it’s S.S., shut your dirty mouth and watch it this week’. So I’m going Thursday.
i don't think steven would appreciate this
I know. :( That’s why I haven’t slept last night.

'The Post' picks up momentum when finally we get to its last 40-45 minutes. It delivers nothing new, which is unfortunate, due to its heavy subject matter other than the norm, which is people talking, walking, sitting, sipping wine, eating dinner, looking at papers, making faces and some close-up shots to proffer a sense of suspense, then the film just finishes. It's a redundant film at best one is going to see.

De Palma once said that TV is just shots of people talking, but wait till you see 'The Post.' Now I'm not fond of everything when it comes to TV, but Mr. Spielberg I believe is exhausted and only can get a film up from its back these days to production due to his name and what he has delivered in the past. I think it's time for him to relax, sip green-tea on his porch, as he has nothing else to prove as a filmmaker. He's done quite good and will always be hailed as one of the greats.

The best thing about 'The Post' is its end credits.

Rohan wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 1:36 pm
'The Post' picks up momentum when finally we get to its last 40-45 minutes. It delivers nothing new, which is unfortunate, due to its heavy subject matter other than the norm, which is people talking, walking, sitting, sipping wine, eating dinner, looking at papers, making faces and some close-up shots to proffer a sense of suspense, then the film just finishes. It's a redundant film at best one is going to see.

De Palma once said that TV is just shots of people talking, but wait till you see 'The Post.' Now I'm not fond of everything when it comes to TV, but Mr. Spielberg I believe is exhausted and only can get a film up from its back these days to production due to his name and what he has delivered in the past. I think it's time for him to relax, sip green-tea on his porch, as he has nothing else to prove as a filmmaker. He's done quite good and will always be hailed as one of the greats.

Post of the month? I vote.

Rohan wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 1:36 pm

The best thing about The Post is this post.

Get it?

Nvm, I'll go cry in a corner now

Vader182 wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm
By the way, have you seen “The Post”? I’d say Steven Spielberg is as good with the camera as anybody in film history. I saw it the other day, and I couldn’t believe how good he is at dealing with a lot of people in that small a space. He’s got 10 people in a living room, and everybody’s moving around, and everything seems natural, and the camera’s dancing around them, and that thing is a miracle of staging and camerawork. I can’t wait to see it again, to really look under the hood and watch how he did it.
PTA ^

-Vader
the scene he's talking about is indeed great

at some point while i was watching this in the first few minutes, i noticed a ten second or so shot that pans twice and dollies in - it literally had 3 different shots that each told you something different packed into one, and 99% of people wouldn't even notice it was only one shot because of how flawlessly it was executed. i thought to myself, "hey, this is what visual storytelling looks like."

most directors will have some shots like that in their films, and then they'll move to shot-reverse, but the thing with Spielberg is he's always doing this and it's almost never distracting. every shot he constructs is staged deliberately, blocked perfectly, and the camera moves with intent and purpose. "unmotivated camera moves" are a thing that must have been crossed out of the DNA of this guy before he was born. it's unreal

EDIT: as others have said, Odenkirk MVP. though Streep is the best she's been in a while

@Armand: Kushner's words are great. it's why i'm hoping Spielberg gets around to this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3675680/

i mean, Rylance reading Kushner come ahhhhnnnn

Really loved this one from Spielberg and crew. So many people are in this that I did not know of. The last hour is really something and the way Spielberg moves the camera was fantastic. Wouldn't mind if this won BP

A few things I think a lot of folks aren't really getting about this movie.

From beginning to end The Post is about choices. It's a series of set pieces observing whether someone will do the right thing or the wrong thing and why. Yes, it's patriotic and affirming of press but it's so much more than that I feel many are missing.

It's about the complicity we all share-not just newspapers-in our tendency for seduction by politicians, by ideologies, by presidents, by American dreams. From Saving Private Ryan to Munich, Spielberg's whole filmography is about characters questioning whether the institutions and values they were raised with ever really existed in the first place, and one step further, how to bear the weight of a legacy that is possibly imaginary. The Post is a movie about people coming to terms with their own complicity with evil and wrongness, and that just about nobody escapes without error.

It's great.

-Vader

That's great. I just wish it wasn't a snoozefest until the third act.

On a technical level, it's classic Spielberg. What PTA said about just how the whole dance is choreographed is spot on.

But like, damn dude, it just absolutely failed to grab me until the end. Perhaps it's because it's such a slow burn of tension that we don't really understand the stakes until we get to know the characters better.

Spotlight was much better. At least the main characters felt like real people in that movie. Streep and Hanks may as well have held up a billboard in each scene that says ACTING!!! That's what it felt like I was watching. Two people acting instead of just living out a character. This shit is EXACTLY Tarantino's point when he says he doesn't want to make old man movies with no energy or purpose. Spielberg's now on auto pilot. Like a musician, technique and being a virtuoso means absolutely nothing if the music has no feeling. I don't care how well he can stage a scene. If it's boring me to tears, it doesn't hold any water.

This film will be forgotten in a year.