The Post: The Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Michaelf2225 wrote:
January 13th, 2018, 9:40 pm
i would say this is probably the second best movie about journalism ever made
I dig it, and Spielberg is a superstar here (although probably the lesser of what I'd consider his "leadership trilogy" with SPR and Lincs) but off the top of my head

Zodiac
All the Presidents Men
Five Star Final
Scandal Sheet
His Girl Friday (yes)

And probably a few others. Although I love that it's literally ATPM Begins

It's to ATPM what Rogue One was to A New Hope.

Forum Pro
ArmandFancypants wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 5:49 am
Michaelf2225 wrote:
January 13th, 2018, 9:40 pm
i would say this is probably the second best movie about journalism ever made
I dig it, and Spielberg is a superstar here (although probably the lesser of what I'd consider his "leadership trilogy" with SPR and Lincs) but off the top of my head

Zodiac
All the Presidents Men
Five Star Final
Scandal Sheet
His Girl Friday (yes)

And probably a few others. Although I love that it's literally ATPM Begins
yeah, was thinking up there with ATPM and Zodiac, the latter of which i have never cared too much for (i'm aware this is blasphemy)

that ending though what the hell
the cheesy Nixon rant obviously being mimed, and then we go right into watergate. lol. it feels totally tacked on, and it's almost as if Spielberg wanted us to go home and immediately put on ATPM. i loved it.
out of this, Lincoln, and SPR, this is definitely the bottom (it's still great though), but if i was going to pick one of those 3 movies to throw on the TV, this is the one.

I'd still go to Lincoln, but probably because I hugely admire construction to prove a point (rather than destruction in SPR and disruption in The Post).

Also Kushner's words are almost too good for a film.

My MVP for this: Odenkirk.

The Post

Nearly fell asleep in the first half.

Second half is actually interesting.

I second Odenkirk as MVP.

7/10

By the way, have you seen “The Post”? I’d say Steven Spielberg is as good with the camera as anybody in film history. I saw it the other day, and I couldn’t believe how good he is at dealing with a lot of people in that small a space. He’s got 10 people in a living room, and everybody’s moving around, and everything seems natural, and the camera’s dancing around them, and that thing is a miracle of staging and camerawork. I can’t wait to see it again, to really look under the hood and watch how he did it.
PTA ^

-Vader

Forum Pro
I went from typical ‘meh Oscar bait blah-blah’ to ‘you idiot, it’s S.S., shut your dirty mouth and watch it this week’. So I’m going Thursday.

Think of going to see this next week

My insightful review is this: Spielberg has no energy left. This movie feels so false, right down to the performances. Preachy at the end. I'm done with this guy. Call me a cab, I may end up sleeping at the wheel. I don't see what PTA is seeing. "Everybody is natural" not a chance. I was impressed with some scenes an how he staged them. But it means absolutely nothing to me if everything "under the hood" feels phony and boring.

I just got back from this and I really enjoyed it. The ensemble cast was fantastic and it was very well directed.