The Post: The Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
Spielberg's my boy, but I'd be lying if I wasn't somewhat concerned about his overall career right now. His last movie sucked, Ready Player One looks whack, and this doesn't scream "amazing movie." Bridge of Spies is still terrific though.

-Vader
he did do Hook and Always back to back

BFG is a product of loyalty to Matheison

Vader182 wrote:Spotlight is made for TV cinematic trash (despite a really good screenplay) so it's nice to see some cinematic verve brought back to the genre of reporting thrillers. Trailer is weird and unconvinced we needed another one of these stories told so soon, but it's Spielberg so I'm in.

Spielberg's my boy, but I'd be lying if I wasn't somewhat concerned about his overall career right now. His last movie sucked, Ready Player One looks whack, and this doesn't scream "amazing movie." Bridge of Spies is still terrific though.

-Vader
I'm still shocked by how bad a good deal of that film was. Like, for a filmmaker who has nailed the shit out of sci-fi and adventure, you kind of expect some level of efficiency at least, when he's delving into the heart of full fantasy. Yet his only two ventures into the genre, have gained no better places than the very bottom of his filmography.

Edit: And yes what Armand said.£

Forum Pro
Law
I'm sorry but has nobody mentioned the ticking clock?

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Ready Player One doesn't even look like a Spielberg film, which is like the most concerning thing for me.

Vader182 wrote:Bridge of Spies is still terrific though.

-Vader
Yeah, it's indeed brilliant and it gives me hope that this will be great as well.

Panapaok wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Bridge of Spies is still terrific though.

-Vader
Yeah, it's indeed brilliant and it gives me hope that this will be great as well.
Yeah, those plane sequences was next level.

Nomis wrote:
Pioneerr wrote:
Nomis wrote:Besides, do they work with a 4K DI, 2K or do they do it photochemically? IMDb says 4K DI but that's not exactly a really reliable source.
Does it really matter?
Of course it does. It's about how they 'rework' what they have shot. No wonder Nolan's films look so incredible because photochemically finishing the film preserves the most quality of the film. Finishing a film in 2K is basically working on a lower resolution than film is. Yeah I know you can't really compare film with pixels only sorta, but you get what I mean.
Please watch this, both parts: http://yedlin.net/ResDemo/ (made by The Last Jedi DP)

Resolution is not that important, even when being watched on a huge projection screen.

And yet you do notice the difference between something shot on an arri alexa with a DI of 2K or something on film finished photochemically and remastered in 4K. Perhaps it's not as important as one would argue but it is noticeable. I mean, why else would Nolan even bother to shoot Dunkirk entirely on large-format if resolution "doesn't matter" ? I don't believe in it the way Yedlin does.

well that's embarrassing

-Vader