The Post: The Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
For me he's like 4 or 5 out of 12 :lol:

Ah yeah well...

A.I. Artificial Intelligence
The Terminal
War of the Worlds
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The BFG

Not sure if I would consider these good films for Steven's own standards.

RIFA wrote:Ah yeah well...

A.I. Artificial Intelligence
The Terminal
War of the Worlds
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The BFG

Not sure if I would consider these good films for Steven's own standards.
A.I. is a near masterpiece - it would be a masterpiece if Spielberg figured out how to end it

The Terminal and The BFG are at least good films

which leaves War of the Worlds and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as duds

so by my count, he's 10/12

What's wrong with A.I.'s ending as it is?£

Too bad Lincoln sucks. War of the Worlds is mediocre. Haven't seen BFG but heard its garbage. Never cared for A.I.

Master Virgo wrote:What's wrong with A.I.'s ending as it is?£
i think it's fine symbolically and whatnot - it's just got that Return of the King syndrome where it takes far longer for it to end than it should
shauner111 wrote:Too bad Lincoln sucks.
lol

I'd rather watch the palm of my hand for 4 hours than watch that 8 hour Oscar bait, political snoozefest.

With the exception of Bridge of Spies I like pretty much anything Spielberg has so far made this century. Admittedly much less when it comes to War of the Worlds and Crystal Skull, but they both have their great Spielbergish moments. I know I might yet rewatch them for their sheer entertainment value.

Although actually I haven't seen The BFG yet.£

Master Virgo wrote:With the exception of Bridge of Spies I like pretty much anything Spielberg has so far made this century. Admittedly much less when it comes to War of the Worlds and Crystal Skull, but they both have their great Spielbergish moments. I know I might yet rewatch them for their sheer entertainment value.

you know, i really like Bridge of Spies and think it's very underrated - i like it enough that it's recently become one of my top few films of its year

it definitely has issues and suffers from a protagonist who literally cannot do anything wrong, no matter how hard he tries, but Rylance is absolutely incredible, and the quiet espionage of the whole thing is very entertaining, in my opinion

not to mention the whole film is this brilliant masterclass on how to direct a quiet, subtle film

this scene, man:

and then the callback to it at the end honestly tears me up

RE: The BFG - based on your posts here, and what you seem to like/don't like, i think you'd enjoy The BFG; it's by no means a masterpiece, but i think it does justice to the book

Master Virgo wrote:With the exception of Bridge of Spies I like pretty much anything Spielberg has so far made this century. Admittedly much less when it comes to War of the Worlds and Crystal Skull, but they both have their great Spielbergish moments. I know I might yet rewatch them for their sheer entertainment value.

Why don't you like BoS?