The Post: The Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I know this should be in a different thread, but we're on this topic so why not..

Controversial I know, but most of Spielberg's work is just not for me. I always find he tries too hard to manipulate your emotions, constantly trying to tug on the heartstrings. Even Rylance who was solid in that movie, was still overrated in my opinion. It seemed like Michael Shannon had the same opinion about Rylance in BoS, when he was asked about that performance/Oscar win.

Give me all out adventure Spielberg from the first 20 years of his career. E.T, Raiders, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Close Encounters. I can't be bothered with anything else really. I guess Minority Report too but I haven't seen it since the early 2000's so I don't know if it holds up for me. I can't take it when he tries to get all serious. It always feels fake. I even find Schindler's List overrated.

Forget all this century talk. He was never even consistent in the 80s and 90s. And all this talk about how Dunkirk may not live up to the excellence of Saving Private Ryan. I don't think SPR is the greatest war film of all time like a lot of film fans say.

Still have to see The Terminal and War Horse but I turned them both off at first try so it's not looking good, but I will finish watching them lol

Spielberg/Hanks/Streep is a good combination. I do feel like Hanks could've done better in Bridge of Spies tho. Or he was completely overshadowed by Rylance, could be so as well

Allstar wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:With the exception of Bridge of Spies I like pretty much anything Spielberg has so far made this century. Admittedly much less when it comes to War of the Worlds and Crystal Skull, but they both have their great Spielbergish moments. I know I might yet rewatch them for their sheer entertainment value.

Although actually I haven't seen The BFG yet.£
Why don't you like BoS?
I find it to be a wholly unremarkable affair. Spielberg goes too far in asking his audience to sympethize with a Soviet spy and Rylance unlike what most say about his performance is not subtle at all. He adds way too many stuff to make up for his own lack of charisma, constantly doing things with his mouth and face while uttering every line and it's distracting.£

Master Virgo wrote:
Allstar wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:With the exception of Bridge of Spies I like pretty much anything Spielberg has so far made this century. Admittedly much less when it comes to War of the Worlds and Crystal Skull, but they both have their great Spielbergish moments. I know I might yet rewatch them for their sheer entertainment value.

Although actually I haven't seen The BFG yet.£
Why don't you like BoS?
I find it to be a wholly unremarkable affair. Spielberg goes too far in asking his audience to sympathize with a Soviet spy and Rylance unlike what most say about his performance is not subtle at all. He adds way too many stuff to make up for his own lack of charisma, constantly doing things with his mouth and face while uttering every line and it's distracting.£
How does Spielberg go too far in asking the audience to sympathize with a Soviet spy? Rylance's performance is subtle. Those tics you are referring to are probably a product of his theater background where body language is more important. Besides, they don't call attention to the performance and Rylance was not trying to makeup for his lack of charisma. The movie as a whole is brilliant, probably my favorite Spielberg since Schindler's List.

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
I'm not sure what you people are talking about regarding A.I.'s ending. It was such a perfect and tragic ending to the film. It was the right place to end David's story. The movie is a god dam masterpiece and one of the best things Spielberg has ever done. Plus I thought A.I. had already been re-evaluated as a masterpiece.

Lincoln is a great example of masterful film-making. Every single choice Spielberg is fascinating and he's never felt more confident in his craft.

As for Bridge Of Spies it is unfortunately one of Spielberg's weaker films. However that has nothing to do with him declining in quality but the fact the script isn't up to par with his best work. Despite everyone in giving their A game to the movie (especially Rylance), the film itself only comes alive in a few key moments. The movie fails itself in it's quiet character moments, which really should be on par with the big set peaces. I kinda understand how some people can love that film, but it just didn't connect with me like most of his films tend to.

I find it really interesting how recently Spielberg has focusing his films on how good people can navigate institutions for the sake of doing something good. He did touch on those themes with Amistad in the 90's, but now he is really spending the time to focus in on those themes with Lincoln and Bridge Of Spies. I'm assuming both this and The Kidnapping Of Edgardo Mortara will continue to explore those themes. It's nice to see a director find new ground to cover late into their career.

Wouldn't mind if Spielberg finally shot a film in 65mm :judge:

Alison Brie, Carrie Coon, David Cross, Bruce Greenwood, Pat Healy, Tracy Letts, Bob Odenkirk, Sarah Paulson, Jesse Plemons, Matthew Rhys, Michael Stuhlbarg, Bradley Whitford and Zach Woods
dang