Top Ten Movies of 2017

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Geoffrey wrote: You are apparently oblivious to the common practice of listing movies outright or as honorable mentions on critics' lists to highlight them because they were previously unnoticed.
Just stop, newbie.
This thread is for 2017 releases. You posted a 2015 release.
Even if it is an "honorable mention," you're posting in the wrong thread.

You don't like it? Feel free to leave. You won't be missed. No one would even notice.

7212017 wrote:Just stop, newbie.
This thread is for 2017 releases. You posted a 2015 release.
Even if it is an "honorable mention," you're posting in the wrong thread.

You don't like it? Feel free to leave. You won't be missed. No one would even notice.
The sound of a genuine frog, ahh. Delightful. Reeing louder than an ambulance.

I don't think you know how forums work, do you? You see, like on Reddit, you can post comments, without following the exact subject or critera that perhaps the OP expects. If I make a post asking your favorite food, someone can say "I don't know what mine is, but I sure as hell know my pet frog's favorite food, it's flies, and he rees when he isn't fed enough".

Now stop crying, edgelord.

Keep it civil.£

Geoffrey wrote:You are apparently oblivious to the common practice of listing movies outright or as honorable mentions on critics' lists to highlight them because they were previously unnoticed. Macbeth being on the list also nicely sums up how even a mediocre movie like itself is in another league compared to the mind numbing blockbusters of this year.
This is good news, I should add The Skin I Live In or perhaps Letter Never Sent to my 2017 list as it is a common practice.

I already have an inkling that Aldrich's Autumn Leaves is going to be in my best of '18 list. :twothumbsup:

ArmandFancypants wrote: This is good news, I should add The Skin I Live In or perhaps Letter Never Sent to my 2017 list as it is a common practice.
Go ahead, but you should very obviously, preferably in bold and italics, disclaim it's your list of movies you've seen in 2017, as opposed to list of movies that debuted in 2017. The comprehension of many of these forum members is extraordinarily lacking and you need to spoonfeed that to them.

You should also make sure to have a fondness for frogs beforehand in case things go south, though you're already a frog yourself so that seems taken care of.

Geoffrey wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote: This is good news, I should add The Skin I Live In or perhaps Letter Never Sent to my 2017 list as it is a common practice.
Go ahead, but you should very obviously, preferably in bold and italics, disclaim it's your list of movies you've seen in 2017, as opposed to list of movies that debuted in 2017. The comprehension of many of these forum members is extraordinarily lacking and you need to spoonfeed that to them.

You should also make sure to have a fondness for frogs beforehand in case things go south, though you're already a frog yourself so that seems taken care of.
https://youtu.be/AfIOBLr1NDU?t=1

Geoffrey wrote:

You have an intriguing philosophy around how forums work and it needs further exploration.

Say I went into the Get Out thread and started discussing basket weaving. Do you think that adherence to the topic of the thread itself is important or would you say that it is more of a vague parameter, or perhaps a suggestion meant to prompt a broader dialogue? Are you somewhat troubled by the more rigid forum posting that is going on these days, and do you see that as being perhaps the thin end of the wedge in terms of forum dialogue? You would say that 21 pages of people being on-topic is perhaps sufficient and it is time to re-purpose this reductive and rather paltry exercise into a more communal, diary-type affair, with a catalogue of your habits for the year? Not to be critical or anything.

ArmandFancypants wrote:Say I went into the Get Out thread and started discussing basket weaving. Do you think that adherence to the topic of the thread itself is important or would you say that it is more of a vague parameter, or perhaps a suggestion meant to prompt a broader dialogue? Are you somewhat troubled by the more rigid forum posting that is going on these days, and do you see that as being perhaps the thin end of the wedge in terms of forum dialogue? You would say that 21 pages of people being on-topic is perhaps sufficient and it is time to re-purpose this reductive and rather paltry exercise into a more communal, diary-type affair, with a catalogue of your habits for the year? Not to be critical or anything.
No, I wouldn't say that was critical at all. It seemed more like what the type of post a zombified, delirious mind would make after having drank far too much and having successfully read several, whole words from this forum.

Your whole argument is based on wildly disproportionate analogies and false equivalencies. Abruptly talking about basket weaving on Get Out's forum doesn't equal, in anyway, including Macbeth in my list of top movies for 2017.

Geoffrey wrote:No, I wouldn't say that was critical at all. It seemed more like what the type of post a zombified, delirious mind would make after having drank far too much and having successfully read several, whole words from this forum.

Your whole argument is based on wildly disproportionate analogies and false equivalencies. Abruptly talking about basket weaving on Get Out's forum doesn't equal, in anyway, including Macbeth in my list of top movies for 2017.
I see. So, theoretically then, to compress the analogy somewhat, would it be acceptable to include say, The Grand Budapest Hotel in my list of top movies for 2017, having seen it this year and being summarily impressed by it in contrast to the theatrically released fare of the calendar year? At what threshold of years does the analogy become disproportionate? I have watched the aforementioned Aldrich film this year for the first time, but would its inclusion in a theoretical post in 12 months time be preposterous or perfectly acceptable in your proposed system?

Top Ten(ish)
1. Dunkirk
2. Baby Driver
3. Blade Runner 2049
4. Logan
5. Split
6. Get Out

Guilty Pleasures
1. Life
2. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
3. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Films that I’m highly interested in that might impact my top ten:

The Disaster Artist, Phantom Thread, The Shape of Water, The Post, The Florida Project, A Ghost Story, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Mudbound, The Beguiled, Logan Lucky, Wind River, The Square, The Insult, The Lost City of Z, I, Tonya, Three Billboard Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Molly’s Game, Good Time

Films that I have very little interest for but I do hope I get to watch them … eventually:

The Last Jedi, Spider-Man Homecoming, War For the Planet of the Apes, Darkest Hour, It, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Justice League, Detroit, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, The Fate Of The Furious, The Mountain Between Us, Alien: Covenant, Thor: Ragnarok, Beauty and the Beast, All the Money in the World