⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
If they only attach it to SDCC it’ll be too late imo. I thought they would’ve started the hype machine early to drum it up as the next big thing. (I think LOTR promotion started a year before Fellowship? And they marketed the entire trilogy as an event.)

anarchy wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 3:45 pm
If they only attach it to SDCC it’ll be too late imo. I thought they would’ve started the hype machine early to drum it up as the next big thing. (I think LOTR promotion started a year before Fellowship? And they marketed the entire trilogy as an event.)
For the past decade or so, marketing over 12 months almost never happens anymore. Studios think it's too expensive for too little an ROI. Think about how Avatar didn't start marketing until August 2009 for a December 2009 release. They typically wait until 4-5 months to release then dump most of the marketing budget in the last few months prior to release. So don't be surprised if Dune follows the same timeline. I'm sure Ant could speak to this too.

Nolan is by far the exception, and he only gets to do it since he can do whatever he wants lol.

-Vader

Yeah it's the exception when that happens. But we're past the year so...

If they will attach the teaser trailer to NTTD though then trailer classification will be online like a week or two beforehand. So we could know in two weeks.

Chalamet in a stillsuit via Empire magazine would be a nice start of what will surely become a big promotion for Legendary/WB imo.

Vader182 wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 4:11 pm
anarchy wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 3:45 pm
For the past decade or so, marketing over 12 months almost never happens anymore. Studios think it's too expensive for too little an ROI. Think about how Avatar didn't start marketing until August 2009 for a December 2009 release. They typically wait until 4-5 months to release then dump most of the marketing budget in the last few months prior to release. So don't be surprised if Dune follows the same timeline. I'm sure Ant could speak to this too.

Nolan is by far the exception, and he only gets to do it since he can do whatever he wants lol.

-Vader
Yeah what I’m saying is a property like Dune deserves to be the exception. Just hoping for the best, given how WB marketing has been hit or miss in the last few years.

m4st4 wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 6:53 pm
Uh... I don't know man. I truly hope so. Ever since LOTR I'm hoping for that next big thing, even though this is a hard SF that gets pretty far away from mainstream with each book, Villeneuve deserves his first huge commercial hit! Not worried about the quality since guy never disappointed me so far.

Edit: Vader, one can hope they will react just like they did to a violent murderous sociopath in The Joker? But yeah... Not convinced either. Yet. Need to see the marketing approach first.
It’s a different world now. LotR was really the last great epic where it was made for itself. Maybe I’m just a crank but it seems like everything has to have some kind of hyper-relevant social commentary to be considered for BP.

anikom15 wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 4:38 am
m4st4 wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 6:53 pm
Uh... I don't know man. I truly hope so. Ever since LOTR I'm hoping for that next big thing, even though this is a hard SF that gets pretty far away from mainstream with each book, Villeneuve deserves his first huge commercial hit! Not worried about the quality since guy never disappointed me so far.

Edit: Vader, one can hope they will react just like they did to a violent murderous sociopath in The Joker? But yeah... Not convinced either. Yet. Need to see the marketing approach first.
It’s a different world now. LotR was really the last great epic where it was made for itself. Maybe I’m just a crank but it seems like everything has to have some kind of hyper-relevant social commentary to be considered for BP.
Is BP a mandatory aspect or a possible but not so probable bonus? I believe it's a case to case situation.

Well, for one I think it will probably have the most chances of getting some technical* award nominations/wins, but BP? I can only dream lol

Really really really hope we get a teaser trailer soon, even a magazine cover, a picture or two something

But I must say it's pretty damn impressive basically nothing of the film has leaked to the internet. We only know some of the casts hairstyles and what an ornithopter will sort of look like lol

*if Fraser really knocks it out of the park he might get a Cinematography nomination and Best VFX is probably not too far off for the film either given how adamant Villeneuve is on that (i.e. not overusing it and rendering the VFX in such a high resolution always helps)

Zimmer for music?

Skarsgaard bumping that best makeup nod lol.

lol true true