⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BlairCo wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 7:28 pm
I'm currently reading the book right now, and it's an absolute drag for me because it's so dense and populated with terminologies that I feel like I'm already supposed to recognise but don't. It's making more excited for the movie however, because I know whatever I'm imagining as I'm reading will certainly be improved upon with whatever Villeneuve is creating visually.
ah yes back when sci-fi didn't over-explain everything to you. its designed to be overwhelming.

no, Dune is not full of 60s colloquialisms

-Vader

I'm not talking the novel down because of it. It's a rich mythology that I'm fascinated by. It's just for me, I had to kind of humour it and let the pieces fall into place before I was able to really follow what was going on.

So I am kinda right stuff like this will turn me off. Reading with words such as Baron, Duke, Reverend Mother, Castle and ect does not make me visualize this as Star Wars or a typical sci-fi. I have a hard time visualizing this novel and Lynch's Dune stuck in my head which really ruined it for me because I hated that look. There are some really weird names that mix with regular name such as Paul and Jessica is not really doing it for me. It's like reading a novel with places with Chinese names but the characters are named Paul or Jessica. I'm going to put it on hold until we get a glimpse of Denis version.

LEXX wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 7:58 pm
So I am kinda right stuff like this will turn me off. Reading with words such as Baron, Duke, Reverend Mother, Castle and ect does not make me visualize this as Star Wars or a typical sci-fi. I have a hard time visualizing this novel and Lynch's Dune stuck in my head which really ruined it for me because I hated that look. There are some really weird names that mix with regular name such as Paul and Jessica is not really doing it for me. It's like reading a novel with places with Chinese names but the characters are named Paul or Jessica. I'm going to put it on hold until we get a glimpse of Denis version.
your avatar is blade runner

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 8:26 pm
LEXX wrote:

-Vader
Seriously. WTF is your point?

BlairCo wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 7:37 pm
I'm not talking the novel down because of it. It's a rich mythology that I'm fascinated by. It's just for me, I had to kind of humour it and let the pieces fall into place before I was able to really follow what was going on.
It's basically sci-fi LOTR

Nomis wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 5:22 am
BlairCo wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 7:37 pm
It's basically sci-fi LOTR
Even reading FOTR was a drag for me, and I had already seen the movie.

Well

Okay

LEXX wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 8:28 pm
Vader182 wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 8:26 pm
LEXX wrote:

-Vader
Seriously. WTF is your point?
If you had to guess, what would be your first? And why the antagonistic approach?

The names? That's your criticism?