⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LEXX wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 2:10 pm
Fincher's Dune doesn't look anything like BR or Star Wars maybe except for the sand dune. I'm just having a difficult time of visualizing Dune since we mostly think of Fincher's version. The concept arts for Dune on Google are all over the places from John Carter to Goth like to victiorian like science fantasy to steam punk and movie like The Chronicles of Riddick. We are a week of finding out so I'm just worried about this project but I trust Denis. So Dune is more of a sci-fi fantasy rather than a hard core sci-fi?
I think you mean Lynch's Dune, not Fincher's :P but imagine that though lol

Anyway, Star Wars has most of it's influences from Dune. As it also did from Asimov's The Foundation, which is a great trilogy btw recommended.

Villeneuve said he doesn't want his version to be reminiscent of Lynch's film. Which makes perfect sense. He also said he wants to make it the Star Wars he never saw.
Given that there are quite some similarities, not just for the first Star Wars film but the sequels and prequels too, it's going to be tough for them to still make it look and feel fresh.

I had quite some doubts about 2049 but they absolutely aced it on every level. I'm beyond excited for this but there's still a little nibble of a feeling of doubt gnawing at me. Doubting if they can truly stun us with it aesthetically and narratively. I mean, I'm confident in Villeneuve's ambition and craft as with the cast and crew. But you know what I mean, I'm afraid I'm hyping it up too much already and we haven't seen a single official thing of this film. Fingers crossed for them releasing something at Comic-Con.

Nomis wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 2:41 pm
LEXX wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 2:10 pm
Fincher's Dune doesn't look anything like BR or Star Wars maybe except for the sand dune. I'm just having a difficult time of visualizing Dune since we mostly think of Fincher's version. The concept arts for Dune on Google are all over the places from John Carter to Goth like to victiorian like science fantasy to steam punk and movie like The Chronicles of Riddick. We are a week of finding out so I'm just worried about this project but I trust Denis. So Dune is more of a sci-fi fantasy rather than a hard core sci-fi?
I think you mean Lynch's Dune, not Fincher's :P but imagine that though lol

Anyway, Star Wars has most of it's influences from Dune. As it also did from Asimov's The Foundation, which is a great trilogy btw recommended.

Villeneuve said he doesn't want his version to be reminiscent of Lynch's film. Which makes perfect sense. He also said he wants to make it the Star Wars he never saw.
Given that there are quite some similarities, not just for the first Star Wars film but the sequels and prequels too, it's going to be tough for them to still make it look and feel fresh.

I had quite some doubts about 2049 but they absolutely aced it on every level. I'm beyond excited for this but there's still a little nibble of a feeling of doubt gnawing at me. Doubting if they can truly stun us with it aesthetically and narratively. I mean, I'm confident in Villeneuve's ambition and craft as with the cast and crew. But you know what I mean, I'm afraid I'm hyping it up too much already and we haven't seen a single official thing of this film. Fingers crossed for them releasing something at Comic-Con.
Duh, I can't believe I did a brain fart on their name. I guessed I might need to read the book. David Lynch version didn't give me any hope for this remake. The problem is that I don't know how close to the book version vs Lynch's version. Lynch's version didn't give me any indication of Star Wars at all except for the dune landscape and without the lightsaber. I mean does the book describe in full details of the visual aspect of the world(space ships, clothing, weapons, architectures and ect.)? IF not than I'm less concern of thinking it in the visual sense of Jupiter Ascending, Chronicle Of Riddick, John Carter and ect. I guessed my main concern is more to do with this not doing well at the BO. But if we are getting a slow burn masterpiece in story telling and visual is what I mostly care about. But if there is a good action piece to this it would be an icing on the cake.

You should definitely read the book. It's amazing. I love Frank's sequels too.

Lynch' film is not that close to the book. The book describes the world it's in as you go into the story. It's very well written. There's plenty of action in the book, some of it's spectacular.

The reason I haven't read the book because it's was written in 1965 and thinking that the science/technology and the wording would not hold up to modern standard scientifically. My fear is that getting the science wrong will kinda ruin the experience. But it seems like this is a sci-fi is written more of a fantasy sensibility I guessed it should be fine.

Eh, it's more about the ideas behind it and what the story is really about. I'd call it timeless.

It’s timeless a la Star Wars or LOTR. Will it translate like that on the big screen? We’ll see.

LEXX wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 5:28 pm
The reason I haven't read the book because it's was written in 1965 and thinking that the science/technology and the wording would not hold up to modern standard scientifically. My fear is that getting the science wrong will kinda ruin the experience. But it seems like this is a sci-fi is written more of a fantasy sensibility I guessed it should be fine.
your avatar is blade runner

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 6:42 pm
LEXX wrote:

-Vader
Oh snap. Philip K. Dick, the king of scientifically whatever masterpieces.

Vader182 wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 6:42 pm
LEXX wrote:

-Vader
Lets me rephrased that. My concerns is more to do with how it is written and if it will meet my standard in how the language is spoken and making believable is what I'm trying to say. I mean look at the early 20 century writings compare to science fictions of today was what my concern about Dune and the language structure is what I was afraid of that might turn me off. It's like watching Game of Thrones or Lord Of the Rings with characters speaking in American accent and slang. I'm skimping Dune right now and what I'm seeing is that it's seems like a standard fantasy writing which is fine. The names are a little turn off because it's almost like I'm reading a Victorian era like settings.
Last edited by LEXX on July 11th, 2019, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm currently reading the book right now, and it's an absolute drag for me because it's so dense and populated with terminologies that I feel like I'm already supposed to recognise but don't. It's making more excited for the movie however, because I know whatever I'm imagining as I'm reading will certainly be improved upon with whatever Villeneuve is creating visually.