⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I saw this in IMAX and I wanna see it again tomorrow.

Best theater experience I've had since Interstellar probably.

Just a sensory feast of a film.

Glad you love it Cil

also

Denis handled the Blade Runner sequel a lot better imo, that at least had an interesting continuation in thematic content and well fledged characters, this to me just felt like he took all the showpieces from the book and crammed them together, curbing all the meaty stuff. It ends up like a 3hour long studio pitch, and now he has to introduce all the good stuff in the sequel now that they've greenlit the next, but alas
he's already killed a lot of the interesting characters off, I was surprised at what little significance everyone had.
That said, I enjoyed it, I think cinema is a medium that CAN be purely visuals and experience, just I think Denis has a lot better in him, and it doesn't elevate to anything higher than that.

I don't know for how long the film will stay in theaters but its at $351 million worldwide now, would be great to see it add another $50 million :shock: 8-) I hope Villy gets allll the $$$$ he needs for DUNC2

Nomis wrote:
November 14th, 2021, 6:07 pm
I don't know for how long the film will stay in theaters but its at $351 million worldwide now, would be great to see it add another $50 million :shock: 8-) I hope Villy gets allll the $$$$ he needs for DUNC2
WDYM i did give him my credit card info on facebook, he asked so nicely :oops:

lolol

got to see this in IMAX the other day (I guess they brought it back?) and I mostly loved it

however, most of the action, especially
the last fight scene
really sucked. it feels like Nolan directed action during the Begins era

like,
you mean to tell me that Paul has to kill a person for the first time in his life and the movie does nothing to make it feel emotional? infuriating

Michaelf2225 wrote:
December 7th, 2021, 3:43 pm
got to see this in IMAX the other day (I guess they brought it back?) and I mostly loved it

however, most of the action, especially
the last fight scene
really sucked. it feels like Nolan directed action during the Begins era

like,
you mean to tell me that Paul has to kill a person for the first time in his life and the movie does nothing to make it feel emotional? infuriating
I would say most of the vehicular action ruled hard, and the first practice duel between Gurney and Paul is very good. However, most of close quarters action otherwise is not well directed.

I felt how new Villeneuve was to it. His angles obscure the (sometimes iffy) choreography, the editing cuts away from the big "battle" moments quickly, and the final action scene is indeed very bad. It's not cinematic in light or composition, the handheld camera is sloppy, and he clumsily cuts between a multi-camera setup. It honestly looks like coverage shot by a second unit. Dune is the first DV to shoot with not only a second unit, but frequently with at least two camera setups, and unfortunately it's felt the most in the climax.

Dune rocked hard overall, but it isn't the first half of a big masterpiece.

-Vader