⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Absolutely brilliant movie.

I seem to love this the most out of my film enthusiast friends, the others either thought the cinematography was too flat and bland, or the movie was too long and slow paced. For me personally the time completely flew by.

The two Swedes steals the show. The score is probably Zimmer's best since Interstellar.

Second best Villeneuve film after Arrival for me.

Too bad I have to wait till December to see this in theatre. :(

holly shit........ dune HD version got leaked ......what a disaster for hbo max and wb

Well, what did they expect? :clap:

All fingers were pointing at HBO Max but it doesn’t seem to be related to the service. A simultaneous release is still dumb though.

I saw the movie last night. I think it is astonishing, Denis and the whole team have created something magical and it is the most immersive world-building I've seen since the Lord of the Rings.
Denis is an auteur of course and he displays his vision on several ways. He paces his movies very precisely to give time to his characters to breath and develop, something that some people won't find appealing and that's fine.

Technically it's by far the most impressive work I've seen this year. I think it will oscars for Sound and VFX. And I can see this competing for Production Design, Cinematography and Score. I'd love to see Denis in the Best Director category again this year.

I'm jealous of the kids that would this as their first Star Wars. Because this is clearly my Star Wars.

I have to be honest, I didn't connect with this film. I first read the book 2 years ago and it really drew me in - the film didn't. Couldn't achieve the same sort of thrills the book gave me, and I'm not sure what was missing. In many ways it felt like it was "illustrating" the events of the book as opposed to, I don't know... but it just didn't feel right.

I think BR2049 far surpasses this in creating a very strong and memorable atmosphere, and that film is still pretty difficult to grasp. But at least the whole atmosphere of it draws me in every time. Here, this just didn't happen. Objectively, it was all good, the music, the actors, but something was missing.

At halfway through this movie I was strongly disliking it. Cool but dully color graded visuals but bad plot and bad characters and dull near robotic acting. The script is generally all exposition, a lot of Wikipedia: The Movie. Extremely rarely was there anything resembling excitement or tension until the halfway mark.

This is like the worst parts of BR2049 without any of the good aspects and as we know it’s not even a complete story adaptation that stands on its own as well as BR2049 could despite being that being a sequel.

The second half at least remembered to have a little more excitement and tension
hey look it's characters on the run - an improvement over what came before that to be sure
but my brain was already checking out of the movie at the halfway point. Characters just come and go out of the movie constantly and to say there's not much development is an understatement. Paul Atreides has about zero likeable features about him as a character but I sure hope you enjoy his dialed up chosen one trope. A character that I liked more exits about halfway through the movie. And the movie ends in silly, incomplete position. I am not clamoring for any more.

After two Dune movies including the Lynch one I don't know why I'd bother myself anymore. Pretty (but dulled) visuals don't make a good movie any more than great graphics make a good video game.

I've seen every just about every Denis Villeneuve movie - most of them in the theater - and I found this to be unquestionably his worst and hopefully the nadir of his career.

:thumbdown:

Not a fan of the look, barely felt engaged with the characters or the story. The world building doesn't come naturally through the story and the imagery, rather from overabundance of exposition. A massive step down from all timers that were Arrival and 2049.

Ace