⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
but how did you get that lol

isn't full frame alexa not as wide as regular alexa? wonder how shooting anamorphic factors in

BlairCo wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 2:27 am

This Q&A honestly got me more excited for the movie than the trailer did. Hearing the cast and Denis talking about their characters and the themes of the story really reinforced my confidence this movie is in devoted hands.
Chalamet is hilarious when he says he didn't read Dune when he was young :D Colbert and Denis are like "Dude, you're 6". :D

Will Dune be a box office fail? Villeneuve films are not very mainstream friendly. And Dune seems to be not your typical space opera. I can see audiences avoiding this movie.

Nomis wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 5:19 am

isn't full frame alexa not as wide as regular alexa? wonder how shooting anamorphic factors in
There's a vertical video version of the trailer on Instagram that has more height in some scenes.

The native sensor on the Alexa LF is 1.43:1. So if you're shooting spherical lenses it will be that. Anamorphic was used but not for the whole film.

Nistopher Colon wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 5:37 am
:lol: :clap:

antovolk wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 6:00 am
Nomis wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 5:19 am

There's a vertical video version of the trailer on Instagram that has more height in some scenes.

The native sensor on the Alexa LF is 1.43:1. So if you're shooting spherical lenses it will be that. Anamorphic was used but not for the whole film.
bruh I didn't know the sensor on LF is actually 1.43 :shock:

As for the all the footage we've seen, including BTS I can tell you that I'm very much loving what I'm seeing. It feels real, it feels lived in and I think it's been the best decision to cut the first book in half. There's much more room for the story to properly breathe. There's more time to flesh these characters out.
Chalamet looks like he's going to deliver us a powerhouse performance. Rest of the cast looks great too. Understandable that they focus a bit more on Zendaya and Momoa of course, which I particularly liked for Duncan, but Jessica will have the second largest role so I dig that we've still got a whole lot to see from her part in the film.
Action looks really cool, love the use of real fire and the Sardaukar troops look awesome.
Deeply loving the sense of scale and ambience when it comes to Caladan life and Arrakis. Ornithopters look like pure bliss and so do the Sandworms.
Villeneuve going for grand locations and massive sets and props immediately pays off.

I love the dialogue from the Gom Jabbar scene and how it sets off Pauls journey. When it comes to what resonates with the audience, that's definitely it.

I understand that Frasers way of lighting is not for everyone but I'm really warming up to it. Can't wait to see this beauty in Laser.

Wow the trailer looks epic!

monochromatic=tonal spectrum of a single color

Dune:

🤔

just saying, let's make a different more precise observation then,
personally I will always prefer the high contrast and expressionism of Deakins but that's just my subjective preference; the way first sunrays of Arrakis hit the bene gesserit order and lady Jessica, not in this set, is utterly memorable and gorgeous imo

and if you take colors from Incendies and this you'll see that it's pretty damn similar, even Sicario, even if it has a more distinctive and sharp high contrast Deakins is so well known for.

Completely forgot about Jodorowsky's Dune. That movie is probably why I'm questioning the color palette here. Day 1 watch no matter what but I'm just not feeling this look yet

Oku
Considering how frank he was about Blade Runner 2049's underperformance causing him to approach Dune in a more mainstream, commercial-friendly manner, if there's enough of an uproar I could see it being changed to be more colorful in time for release.