⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 7:54 pm
Is it just me or do the vfx look a bit wonky in the fight scene with Brolin?
It looks like a
*put 3D glasses on now*
moment.

My misgivings with the visual palette aside, does this actually look like a commercially viable movie?

If anything, this is far less broadly appealing than I imagined after all of Denis' comments about not having another Blade Runner 2049.

-Vader

I was underwhelmed by this too but I'm not a Dune fan so it probably had little effect on me anyway. I am still excited to see it.

In fairness, this movie was always going to be hard to market to an audience that was not familiar with Dune, because there's a lot of strangeness you have to buy into. But I was not expecting a Pink Floyd song to be the main selling point in marketing a movie based on Dune.

The trailer nailed establishing Paul's arc, but it failed in establishing other aspects like the different Houses, the Fremen or even why Arrakis is so important. And they're really pushing heavily with showing off the cast, especially Momoa and Zendaya. A second trailer would benefit with being able to show off these other important things, but it should only take one trailer to market your movie.

Villeneuve very often shoots films in a way that makes me think I'm in an Apple store: it's too clean, sterile and often without colours. That does not mean that I was not intrigued or that I think the actors are terrible but even from what I can recall from David Lynch's version that film at least knew what bright colours were and the production design was fun.

they're selling it as a spectacle what else are they ognna do

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 11:40 pm
they're selling it as a spectacle what else are they ognna do
yeah but like

what spectacle keith lol

it's all muted tones and dark and grays

and the closest thing to spectacle you get is a couple seconds of cool wide shots and the, also very dark, worm. At least this is pushing a more bankable cast.

-Vader

As I was reading Dune not once did I think: colors! Jodorowsky!
What was in my mind looked exactly like this trailer and frankly I'm surprised by reactions on this board focusing on that, Dune community was floored by what was shown.
It's not even appropriate to expect a sudden pop of red sand considering they're on Arrakis and the cultures living there and how they were described. Dune is SF sure but militaristic and grounded one.

And still, I don't see the issue? Greg knows his job. Gold on black fits well, production design is... chef's kiss. Costumes (especially stillsuits and Lady Jessica's), built sets.

But then I also read some other hot takes, and I wonder if Arrival, Sicario and BR2049 still exist?

As I was watching this I didn't think of any of those movies though, I was thinking of Incendies's palette, and how appropriate it was, considering Villeneuve himself connected the two.
Last edited by m4st4 on September 10th, 2020, 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

incendies looks like ran compared to the dune trailer. like, there's millions of possibilities between this monochromatic look and Jodoworsky's Dune.

here's the thing: yes, the setting was described as dull and gray, but the outfits, palace, vehicles always seemed exotic and exuberant and a mix of cultures in the text.

instead, the inside of the palace is... grey concrete columns with..darker grey rooms and the occasional wood wall. the costumes are all...grey...darker grey, or black.

I don't love Frasier's underlit, washed out blacks, low-contrast look in Mando either.

EDIT: to be clear I'm still excited as fuck for Dune and I'm sure Denis-V knows what he's doing and it'll all work in context, i'm just reacting to what we've been given

-Vader

Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 6:16 pm
Yeah i think that is more the main theme of the original film if anything, 2049 is more about if society is ready to consider replicants or non human persons to be our equals, it also comments on disposable work forces and late capitalism, maybe even some future interpretations of imperialism (conquering the starts and such)
That's basically the same thing just phrased differently :P

Batfan175 wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 10:55 pm
Villeneuve very often shoots films in a way that makes me think I'm in an Apple store: it's too clean, sterile and often without colours. That does not mean that I was not intrigued or that I think the actors are terrible but even from what I can recall from David Lynch's version that film at least knew what bright colours were and the production design was fun.
The sterile, cold and streamlined part is mostly visible in his sci-fi films, especially Arrival (and I loved it there and the design of the aliens was crazy good in contrast). BR204 was more rich for him but that had the luxury of the original's world building and designs (and even then it felt a lot emptier in comparison).

But yeah this lacks the cultural influences in production design and costumes.