⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Uno
These stills look gorgeous! When can we expect a teaser trailer?

Nistopher Colon wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 7:26 am
is that Nic Cage in the last pic?
I think it's Javier Badem.

The hype must flow.

-Vader

I know these are just promo stills, but I’m a bit underwhelmed, I’m getting a low budget syfy show. Everything is grey, hopefully it won’t be the final color grading.

The House Atreides shot/still looks very boring and empty, the costume and design aesthetics looks very flat and generic….. I'm not getting the feeling this is supposed to take place tens of thousands of years in the future.

The Lynch version was more imaginative than this. I'm still extremely hyped for this film though.

Looks cool enough. Villeneuve has directed 3-4 very good films and a couple of decent ones (meh on Polytechnique and Maelstrom). He is better than most in Hollywood, even if he's more of a solid journeyman than an auteur. I would expect this to be a solid effort at the very least, could even be a banger 8-)

Watched Lynch's Dune for the first time today and... Let's just say there's plenty of things Villeneuve can improve upon. These images hopefully suggest that.
Although, watching Dune has gotten my Lynch craze back on with marathoning Twin Peaks.

BaneandDawn wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 10:12 am
I know these are just promo stills, but I’m a bit underwhelmed, I’m getting a low budget syfy show. Everything is grey, hopefully it won’t be the final color grading.
Yeah, I agree. I don't think these are stills from actual film footage graded by Fraser. They are just set photos shot by the set photographer.

Pioneerr wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 11:06 am
BaneandDawn wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 10:12 am
Yeah, I agree. I don't think these are stills from actual film footage graded by Fraser. They are just set photos shot by the set photographer.
Only the image from yesterday is from film footage.

Jodorowsky (in)famously wanted to turn Dune into The Phantom Menace, but in reality it's a Star Wars 1977 (if it were restricted to Mos Eisley mostly). It's supposed to be down and dirty vision of a far future in which manual labor and human wit overpowers automatic power of machines. Notice that House Atreides all have swords and knives, not lasers and whatnot. Rarely flashy, extremely evocative of our own rural desert societies and vistas. It also has female order of space nuns who are basically Jedis.