Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Can't believe they pulled off a character like Mysterio and that also with so much aplomb.
Gyllenhaal seems to be channeling his Nightcrawler/Okja persona and having a blast doing it.

Rudinet wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 11:31 am
Can't believe they pulled off a character like Mysterio and that also with so much aplomb.
Gyllenhaal seems to be channeling his Nightcrawler/Okja persona and having a blast doing it.
This this this. Gyllenhaal gives one of my favorite performances in the MCU. It is delightful.

-Vader

Nomis wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 9:55 am
I thought Amazing Spider-Man was devoid of any life and fun. At least Spider-Man 3 had that going on. Also Raimi is a much better director than Webb imo lol
Yep, SP3 gives me the same feeling as BVS, some stuff is great, some is terrible. I may be alone on this, but I don't hate the "dancing in the street" at all. And I quite enjoy Venom, or least the scene in the church compensates all issues I could have. And I like about everything they did with Peter Parker throughout the trilogy. My issues are more with Dunst and Franco's characters, whose arcs don't make much sense imo. And Sandman is only used as a cliché. (That last dialogue between Sandman and Peter makes me cringe.)

Rudinet wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 11:31 am
The problem is there's like almost zero depth to the character and it devolves into something we've seen about 1 million times before.
his character isn't afforded any depth after the reveal. He appears to be another Zemo initially, and then devolves into a Justin Hammer.

I understand this is part of the premise behind Mysterio himself. I get that Jake was chosen probably because of his Nightcrawler performance, but it's so badly executed in this film.

It feels akin to Mandarin in Iron Man 3, except that is played off as a giant wink at the audience and Kingsley's performance at least garnered a few laughs. This one goes nowhere and Mysterio becomes a cardboard cutout of an antagonist after the "twist", and you just want it to be over already.

Kinda breaks the streak of decent Marvel villains that we've had recently.

Also, did anyone laugh during this film?

The whole audience in my theater laughed, both times, so was that a rhetorical?

And Gyllenhaal’s depths had layers in here, all the way to the end of the movie, so yeah.

My whole audience loved it and laughed exactly when they were supposed to. Nobody's telling you that you have to like it Cil, but I'm glad a lot of other folks are sharing in my love of the movie and Jake G in particular.

I think there's a surprising amount of depth to his character.
There's the meta-commentary reflecting on what lures people into narrative and special effects, particularly in the wake of Infinity War and Endgame. IE this movie is about trauma in general, and how willing we are to put our faith in the wrong places when we can't put faith into ourselves.

-Vader

Cilogy wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 12:52 pm
Also, did anyone laugh during this film?
I don't remember laughing out loud, but I most definitely giggled at almost every scene with Betty and Ned. Also the two teachers were quite funny imo. The
Peter tinkle joke got a little on my nerve though.

As a teacher who’s also traveling with high schoolers on a semi-regular basis I can confirm that this movie is 100% accurate depiction of reality, rest stops included.

What in the fuck.

I think this it.

I think I've finally gone absolutely mad.

that's called clinical depression