Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

So this is pretty good! Spider-Man in a rich vein of form on the big screen it would seem.

So why was Bacon panning this and mad at marvel and Sony again before seeing it? I don’t see what’s controversial.

Don't wanna speak for Bacon, but I believe he was mad about the mid-credits scene I believe.

I love where Spidey 3 seems headed tho :/

-Vader

How do you know I hadn't seen it when I first complained about the credits scene? That's not sarcasm. I literally just walked out of the theater, so I'm confused.

I was just complaining about how the MCU is dismantling everything Spider-Man is actually about and throwing it to the curb and people are defending it because it's a "fresh take." This movie is fine on its own, but when you actually look at it as a Spider-Man movie, it doesn't exactly hold up.

The movie has extremely mixed themes as it tries to emphasize that
Spidey is no the next Iron Man and has to be his own hero, while also having Tony Stark calling him the next Iron Man from the beyond. Happy gives him a speech about doing his own thing and then plays AC/DC while Peter builds a robot suit.
This tries to please everyone while simultaneously ignoring key aspects of what makes Spider-Man so unique, especially in comparison to the other MCU heroes we currently have. Something a film like Spider-Verse managed to capture ten-fold.

Jake is amazing (as always) tho.

I thought you made your post before release for some reason. I think you made a post b4 the credits scene saying something about Spider-Man no longer being Spider-Man, that’s what I was referring to.

Far From Home dials into key Spider-Man themes tho. Struggling with responsibility you don't want, trying to be a kid vs the mantle you carry, and balancing Peter's MANY father figures over the years. He has aspects of them all yet always remains his own man.

...this is exactly the same, but instead Peter has to rise to the spirit of Tony without being Tony himself. Tony's become a paternal figure. If you look at the comics over the years, we get increasingly variable runs that try higher and higher concept premises.

That's exactly what the MCU is doing right now. If anything, it's closer to the spirit of the comics than any Spider-Man series until now.

-Vader

I would also add that, by the end (not really a spoiler), you get to see this sort of Raimi-like version of Spidey. Extremely exciting world of possibilities for Spidey 3!

Allstar wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 5:24 pm
I thought you made your post before release for some reason. I think you made a post b4 the credits scene saying something about Spider-Man no longer being Spider-Man, that’s what I was referring to.
Gotcha. I got spoiled on the after credits scene. I was going to try and see what film it sets up and when I was thinking about looking up what it was, I read it wasn't a big spoiler (they were talking about the final credits scene). So I googled it and got angry.

However, now that I've seen the film...yeah the film doesn't justify it like I wanted it to.