Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Taxi Driver and Raging Bull are easily his best two. Nothing from Scorsese post 2000 comes close.

So refreshing to see someone not say Goodfellas is his best movie.

Since this is the thread for Controversial opinions, my favourite Scorsese; The Irishman and ...Hugo (made me feel I was learning how to watch films all over again).

I guess saying that his best is The Departed is also a controversial opinion. But for me it is. A bit better than Goodfellas and Taxi Driver.

LelekPL wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 5:41 am
I guess saying that his best is The Departed is also a controversial opinion. But for me it is. A bit better than Goodfellas and Taxi Driver.
tbh i’d fight anyone who thinks this is some insanely controversial opinion

i don’t think it’s necessarily better than goodfellas or taxi driver, but it’s one of my favorite scorsese films ever

that, and silence too (which i guess is even more controversial lmao)

I fucking love The Departed

The Departed is great, but it is a remake that closely follows the original, especially in the first half of the story. That's why I wouldn't put it top level Scorsese. The story beats were already pre-established by another. Same with Cape Fear

I do think of Insomnia as a less impressive Nolan movie because Nolan usually writes his own original ideas, even with Batman. But Scorsese rarely does so, so a director who usually works from other people's script making a remake is not that different, especially since he puts his own flair in those films and they depart (no pun intended) from the original films and aren't just a Quarantine or Let Me In (which are mostly redubbed versions of the originals).

carnage is my favourite polanski film

fun script, great cast going ham giving theatery monologues, it's like an hour ten, whats not to love

Nomis wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 5:33 pm
Hugo is not a masterpiece lol same goes for The Aviator
Nomis has spoken..

the truth.