Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 9:46 pm
Speaking of controversial opinions, and Killmonger, and why I still haven't seen Black Panther: http://bostonreview.net/race/christophe ... ck-panther
you're not watching a movie because of a single negative article?

ok, what about the outpouring of support for black panther from the POC community who disagrees with that?

-Vader
To be fair I think another review shared the same concern but was still very positive. Still, I am happy for the people that loved the movie. It's just that how we react to art is so personal that I don't think the widespread embrace of the movie will convince me to watch it anytime soon, much less have a different view of it.

Not my proudest moment since I go out of my way to watch all kinds of films.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 10:01 pm
To be fair I think another review shared the same concern but was still very positive. Still, I am happy for the people that loved the movie. It's just that how we react to art is so personal that I don't think the widespread embrace of the movie will convince me to watch it anytime soon, much less have a different view of it.

Not my proudest moment since I go out of my way to watch all kinds of films.
Oh, two articles then? Well that changes things. Two is a big number, you can't mess with it for sure. :blank:

Honestly I found the one article more than convincing enough. Again, this view doesn't invalidate the views of others.

I've always liked Twilight.

I still do.

Is it as good as It?

Is it as good as Joker?

Is it as good as Gotti?

The Force Awakens is a better film than A New Hope.

Jack Reacher (the first one) is fucking amazing, even if it has some quirky moments and weird performances. But the action is so thoughtful and interesting, I would even say that it's one of the best action films if the decade.

Jack Reacher being awesome is far from controversial. It has great action, it's a solid mystery and two great performances by Cruise and Herzog.

Unfortunately the second one is absolute garbage.
MyCocaine wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 6:55 pm
The Force Awakens is a better film than A New Hope.
I might actually agree. It is basically a modern take on ANH and it owes it A LOT but it also doesn't get so long to get going. The first half an hour of ANH drags unbearably. Whenever I try to get my friends into Star Wars I don't start with ANH anymore because they used to get turned off by falling two random droids on a dessert for 20 minutes and then watching a moody teenager. It only starts getting great with Binary Sunset kicking in and Luke's need for adventure starts showing. TFA sucks you immediately in and is a better more modern start for newcomers of Star Wars.