Controversial Opinions About Movies Part II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Really sorry you guys don't connect with the best film of the 2010's.

What are you talking about? I love Interstellar :P

LelekPL wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 1:48 am
What are you talking about? I love Interstellar :P
This. Although even if Interstellar is my favourite film of the last decade, it is a flawed masterpiece.
But there have been some perfect film this decade that are much more moving than Fury Road (IMO, obviously): Roma, Dunkirk, Parasite.
Besides the spectacle, I didn't really connect with Fury Road. In terms of franchise blockbuster in the last decade, TDKR and Skyfall would be my two favourites.

When the Alien attacks Dallas, he does jazz hands, and it made me burst out laughing when I first saw it. Never been able to take it seriously since then.

Christian Bale has given his career best works under the tutelage of Scott Cooper. These performances should be nominated rather than the David O. Russell and McKay stuff. Excited they are reteaming again.

He gave his best performance under Mary Harron, though. And his most iconic performances are not under Russell or McKay either but rather Nolan and Brad Anderson because let's not full ourselves, most people will remember him for being Batman and his crazy transformation in The Machinist.

Cooper managed to get a good performance out of him in Out of the Furnace, but nothing spectacular. Woody actually outshined him in that movie. But I'll give you Hostiles. He was fantastic in Hostiles, much like the rest of the cast. Pike was underrated in it as well.

Netflix edition:
If someone told me "let's watch [this movie]", I'd rather rewatch He's All That than The Irishman.

Some of the best reviewed movies this year were musicals and I... didn't like any of them.
- Annette was probably the most unique one but unfortunately far from interesting. It had easily the worst music in it out of all four. If I had to choose the best one, this would probably be it since it was at most memroable with
the doll and murder storyline
... but Adam Driver should not be singing in musicals :P
- West Side Story had the best production value with great music ques in sound design (not the songs, though). But it really didn't connect with me at all, neither with its love story which I was actively rooting against, nor with the portrayal of the gangs. And any new changes were very much muddled by the old storyline.
- Tick, Tick... Boom! had the best performance of all four (Garfield) but I didn't care for his character who kind of gets his wish after the realisation that he was a douche. It also had the best songs (though I still couldn't remember one line of the top of my head). I mean, if you glamorize the art scene lifestyle of NY you got something out of it but since I couldn't care less about the success of the show, I really found it hard to stay focused.
- In the Heights - it was just meh. Wasn't as carefully crafted as WSS, didn't have as good music or performances as TTB nor a weird hook like Annette. It was ok but I also didn't like the final message.
Staying in NYC. I mean, nobody really cares about the American dream. It's terrible! And I was really rooting for them to get back home to be honest. I get he stayed "home" (where his friends are and his love is) but I mean, she could have just as well gone with him. Just instead of him making the sacrifice, she would be making it and maybe they would have been better of for it.
And I'm actually a person who enjoys musicals. I loved La La Land, The Wizard of Oz, Pitch Perfect, A Star is Born, Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Sound of Music. I liked Mamma Mia, Singing in the Rain, Moulin Rouge, JC Superstar, The Wiz, the amazing songs of The Greatest Showman (the film is problematic, though).

But I found all four to be incredibly overrated.
Last edited by LelekPL on January 2nd, 2022, 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

What? You did not list Phantom of the Paradise among the musicals you love? That's it. Boo! Boo, I say. I question the sincerity of your love for musical films.